Brakes Help with coaster brake?

Tommy1

Local time
7:19 PM
Hey guys. Bought a dyno Stretch a few weeks ago. This is my first build so I'm new to the bike world. My bike is a fixed speed cruiser with a coaster brake. I've decided I do not want the coaster brake as I would like the option to be able to pedal backwards freely once I put a motor on it. (main reason is so that I can align my pedals quickly and easily for safer cornering, etc) I don't really understand the mechanics of the coaster brake but I was wondering if I just bought a complete rear free wheel, would I then be able to attach different brakes such as disc or whatever and be able to pedal forwards like normally or backwards freely while moving?

This might seem like a stupid question, but I really don't know anything about bicycles lol thanks!

Oh and the reason Im asking is because I wanna buy some heavy duty rims for safer riding at high speeds and thought if I can do away with the coaster brake thing at the same time then I would be hitting 2 birds with 1 stone. :)

Tommy1,

Welcome to the forum. Nothing as a stupid question.
Here's a post from a BMX forum that I found that shows how to convert your coaster brake to a freewheel. I've never attempted to do this myself and can't give you any guidance. Poster, Volcano, scanned an article from 1976 that explains how to convert a coaster to a freewheel.

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/lofiversion/index.php/t27037022.html

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Back