Help with Vintage Whizzer Belt Tension

Joe Andulics

Local time
1:12 AM
Need some guidance. This is my first Whizzer build from parts. I’ve read as many posts as I could find on this and other forums on suggested techniques to tension both belts. I thought I was there, but found I couldn’t peddle the bike (too much sheave belt tension?) and after numerous attempts at moving the motor and rear wheel around to get the tension right, I decided to start from scratch.
IMG_0615.JPG
IMG_0616.JPG
IMG_0617.JPG
IMG_0618.JPG
IMG_0619.JPG
IMG_0620.JPG
IMG_0622.JPG
IMG_0624.JPG

I’m trying to get to the suggested 3/8” clearance between the pulley and the coil cover. Presently it’s at ¼”. I’ve shown the clutch spring setup and the position of the motor (tight against the seat post) and the resulting clearance. I loosened the motor mount brackets on the motor and swung the bottom of the engine in an attempt to increase the gap, no change (I’ve included a photo of the coil cover with a groove worn it showing that the gap was insufficient in the previous setup). The belt is a PIX A26. The center-to-center distance is 8”. I’m of the impression that swinging of the bottom of the motor does not change this gap, but changes the clutch spring tension. Any suggestions?
Want to get this right before I move onto the rear belt. As I understand it this is a challenging task on the vintage Whizzer generally requiring much patience and trial and error. Thanks in advance.

1 thing on the front short belt it's riding high in the pulley even when it's tight. You may need a narrower belt. Maybe 2 to 4mm narrower. Any slide adjustment on the motor at all? Also if you can buy a true vbelt not one with ridges that are not needed. From experience you need a 1/2in to 3/4ths in flex in the belt testing it at it's longest span. Looking at pics of whizzers on bing some of the front belts look really loose. Maybe it's supposed to be that way. Just giving you my 2cents with working w/belts in general, never owned a whizzer.

Back