Help!

cesspool72

Local time
3:04 PM
I have a 99 Whizzer NE5 and was running fine.I changed the filter to a k&n and now it starts but just fires every so often.i changed the plug but it helped for a little bit bu still wont pull itself or stay running.Thanks.

Pure speculation here, but... If the K&N air filter is not as "free breathing" as the original, it could be acting like a choke and making the mixture too rich. That's easy to test, just put the old filter back on and see if it starts running fine again.

--del

Is the motor stock other than the breather? How many miles? Your motor may be at the point where the valve seats worked loose. If you have a compression guage, check the compression. Should be from 80 to 90 lbs on a stock motor.

Have fun,
Quenton

help

Motor is stock with less than 400 miles.I will try to reinstall stock filter and see what happens.thanks for the help.

Well putting the old filter back on didnt help.Still wont run.Doesnt even sound like its trying to start.Im going to check to compression next to see where it is at.

Hi Cesspool72,

The most common problem with the WC-1 motor [1999 to late 2004] is the valve seats work loose and the motor stops running. Most motors quit between 400 and 600 miles. I guess there are WC-1 motors that have more mileage, but I have never seen one. The factory always tried to blame the owner and always insisted the owner modified the motor and caused the problem. However the majority of the WC-1 motors I have serviced had loose valve seats, and most were completely stock.
The problem with your motor may not be the valve seats, but I assure you it will be. The best advice I can give you is to purchase the NE cylinder kit from a dealer [$466.10]. The dealer is better equiped to help you upgrade your motor and can provide better service because they are available almost 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
It is also possible to upgrade your motor by only replacing the cylinder, head, exhaust manifold, and assorted bolts & gaskets to save money. The head must be replaced because the bolt pattern is different than the WC-1, the exhaust manifold is needed to clear the larger fins [although some simply made a spacer instead], and the head bolts must be replaced because they are larger.
BTW the '99 model is called "Classic", not NE5. The NE5 motorbike was released in late 2004 or early 2005. The motor on the NE5 is actually called NE, but the model of the complete bike is called the NE5. For some reason the 1999 model seems to be made better [not the motor], and the bicycle part appears to hold up better than the later models. I have a large collection of Whizzers, and the one I ride the most is the '99 model. With a little effort and a little money the '99 can be a very reliable mode of transportation. My '99 model has over 6000 miles on it [replaced the speedometer 3 times], and holds several speed records [68 MPH].

Have fun,
Quenton

Wow thats about a dollar a mile you better be saving for the new parts,and they say the happy times are junk. 400 miles on a bike is a lot though now that i think of it. I like the whizzers but didnt know they had problems like that,thanks for sharing info.

Hi,
It is possible to make the Whizzer "bullet proof", and with the exception of the 2008 Ambassador, I would trust my bikes to travel from coast to coast without problems. And with time I will even make my Ambassador "bullet proof". There are small problems that can easily be eliminated, and most are just annoying. Simple upgrades, such as the fender tab, clutch hub, clutch arm mounting sytem, mushroom lifters on most of the NE motors, oil breather system, longer front axles [some models], replacing the band brake with the later expanding shoe system, and NE cylinder kit for the WC-1 motor. Even though I guess most of the upgrades could be completed for under $250.00 total, the only expensive upgrade would be the NE cylinder kit [if needed].
Once the "bugs" are worked out on a Whizzer it becomes a ride like no other! The sound, power, ride, & vintage look set it apart from all other bikes in its class. The Whizzer is one bike that blends in with the Harley's [HD] crowd, and always attracts people everywhere. Even though I raced motocycles, and understand "fast", riding my Whizzers at slower speeds is worth every dollar I have invested in them. The motto "Ride one and you will buy one" has a lot of merit. I was lucky enough as a youth in Ohio to have owned two Whizzers, both were the 24" kickstart Ambasador model, so I have a long history with motorbikes. The reason I consider myself lucky, is because today the most common comment overheard at shows and events is, "you either had a Whizzer as a kid, or wished you did". Today I own a large collection of both vintage & new edition Whizzers, well maybe not a large collection, but more than should be allowed. 5 new edition, and 7 vintage models are hard to ride enough to keep the carburetors from gumming up, but somebody has to do it [don't ya feel sorry for me].
Like I said earlier they are worth the extra effort to make them right, because there is nothing like a "classic" Whizzer.

Have fun,
Quenton

Last edited:
I will concur with Quenton, (That's a safe bet, huh?) I have made all the upgrades on my '99 Whizzer (with Quenton's help and generosity) To wit: Q's modified early NE cylinder, milled head, mushroom lifters, high lift cam, 26mm carburetor, and modified exhaust insert. Aside from the broken rear fender tab and broken headlight bracket, have had no problems with the bike, which now has almost 4000 miles on it. It is fast and FUN,FUN,FUN.

On several occasions I have parked it next to a row of Harley Davidsons and it is surprising how many people walk passed the Harleys to stop and stare at the Whizzer.
On two occasions I have had Harley riders stop me on the road to tell me that my bike is "Bad*** "

Yesterday I let my neighbor ride it around the 'hood'. It was the first time I was able to see and hear it zoom past. Now I better understand why it attracts so much attention.

If you have a chance, try to ride one. You too will be convinced.

Back