Here's a real Head-scratcher

RIZ

Local time
6:11 AM
Just mounted a new Zeda engine onto the frame, hooked up the cables and then the drive chain. Next, I engaged the clutch to roll the bike forward and after a few feet it locked up (mind you, its never been fired up). At first, I thought the bikes lower crank assembly froze so I pulled the chain from the pedal side off to see if that freed up the rear wheel. Nope, still wouldn't roll an inch. Next, I disconnected the clutch cable from the clutch lever at the engine side cover--pulled the cover off and for the heck of it tried to roll the bike again. Still no luck. I then pulled the bucking bar and ball. The bike then rolled nice as pie (?). WTF?

The clutch end of the bucking bar is dished and scored like its a used bar! This is making me wonder two things; first, how can the ball lock up the engine and next, what else might I find if I pull this brand-new engine apart? Has anyone ever experienced this or possibly heard of it happening before? I'd really like to know if possible . . .
Thanks, ~RIZ

For what its worth, here's a picture of the bucking bar . . .
IMG_0221.JPG

It sounds like the drive chain got bunched up on the front of the case cover.
This is common.
Are you running stock #415 chain?

Drive chain's fine. The bike rolls now that I removed the bucking bar and ball from the center of the clutch shaft (on the drive-gear side).

That is a weird looking manufacturing fault. I would guess the bucking bar is deflected to the side when that is pressed against the ball, but how that jams the shaft is a mystery. AFAIK that would just cause the bucking bar to jam against the shaft and rotate with the shaft, which would ruin both the bar and the cam if run like that, but it shouldn't affect the shaft.
Weird.

tried to get a pic of one I have here - air bubble or somesuch in casting, this bar cracked into two equal pieces right in the middle - POS camera just got a blur tho

if ball is good, I'd just flip it to put damaged side out and try it

tried to get a pic of one I have here - air bubble or somesuch in casting, this bar cracked into two equal pieces right in the middle - POS camera just got a blur tho

if ball is good, I'd just flip it to put damaged side out and try it

Thanks for the input and suggestions. (both to you and Furry). The ball looks fine so that's what I'll do.
Thanks again.

Back