Hey there! (I'm new here, and a bit overwhelmed)

codefish

Local time
5:51 AM
Hey there!

I've been looking into building a motored bike for quite some time now, and I think I'm finally just about ready to take the plunge. I'm anticipating to have to deal with some problems (of course), and I'm sure this community will be vital to my survival in the world of motored bikes. I haven't started building yet, and for that matter I still haven't settled on a motor haha, but I figured that joining this motored bike community would be a logical first step.

I've realized that selecting components is a series of compromises (durability v. cost v. ease of operation and installation) and I joined this forum in an attempt to educate myself before I get in over my head. I must admit, I feel a bit overwhelmed, and I'm not sure that I have the mechanical aptitude to handle installing some of the kits I've come across. But, I'm going to give this a shot (after, of course, I figure out exactly what I'm going to do)!

Thanks in advance for your support!

Welcome!! I just got to ride my first motored bike build after finishing it tonight. No matter what you go with, its definitely a thrill the first time you twist that throttle and get pushed down the road effortlessly. All the hurdles one has to jump are worth it at that point.

Whatever you end up building, you'll have fun for sure!

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement, datz, and I'm glad that you are enjoying your bike!

What did you build, and how did you decide on which components to use (engine and such)?

I did a little reading here and went with a 70cc kit from livefast here in Phoenix, AZ. Seemed like a decent kit and the price was right. Ended up doing a bunch of modifications to make it work with my Fuji MTB. I also ended up replacing ALL of the nuts and bolts in the kit with high grade stuff from Ace hardware as the chinese hardware quality kinda scared me. The only thing i didnt replace from the start were the headbolts, which i couldn't find locally. In the end, the kit turned out to be more work than I was anticipating, but I'm happy with the result for sure.

Here's a link to my build in the Photo section:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=11027

Welcome to MBc

There are plenty here who will help out.

Last night in the pouring rain we had to have, I rugged up and did a run for no apparant excuse than to see how my beast will perform in the rain !

Well, it just went without a problem. I was soaked but worth it.

Totally agree with changing as much hardware as possible, the China nuts and bolts supplied are no where near the standards we expect.
Rememewbr also to use a NGK spark plug ( B6HS or BR6HS )

All the Best

BoltsM

Welcome!! I just got to ride my first motored bike build after finishing it tonight. No matter what you go with, its definitely a thrill the first time you twist that throttle and get pushed down the road effortlessly. All the hurdles one has to jump are worth it at that point.

Whatever you end up building, you'll have fun for sure!

It is so true, if you buy a kit they really arent that difficult. If you are thinking of the chinese frame mounted two stroke engines (we call them happy time engines) then they are easy to install, but it is the maintenance of them that requires the mechanical aptitude. Saying that it will make a mechanic out of anybody and there is so much information on this site that there is already a solution to any problem you ever encounter, and if you cant find it just ask! We are more than happy to help you out! So where abouts in the world are you from?

Edit: Yeah, I would definetely recomend the NGK B6HS plug, gets the most out of your spark. Replacing as much as the hardware as possible is something I so wish I did from the start, the original bolts are very similiar to chalk.

Fastboy

Last edited:
FWIW, to replace ALL the hardware on the engine cost me around $26 from Ace Hardware. I went with metric grade 8.8 socket head cap screws for everything.

Last edited:
Hey Mr codefish, this is normally pretty cool! just go with what you feel which you want and make it come alive!!!! By the way, welcome!

Thank you for all the information and support! I appreciate it immensely!

I figured I'll have to make a few adjustments and replacements with whatever I choose to end up going with, and from what it sounds like, the adjustments/replacements on even the cheapest motor kits seem to be cheap, easy fixes (bolts, spark plugs, etc.). I was thinking of trying a "happy time" motor originally, due to the reasonable price and all, but I'm not sure I'll be able to handle the kind of maintenance that those type of engines require. But, is a 4-stroke or a more expensive (maybe a Japanese or American brand) 2-stroke really significantly easier to maintain?

Additionally, the frame on the bike I want to work on is kind of unconventional, and I'm not sure mounting the happy time motor will even be possible with that style of frame. It may be that a rear-mounted kit will be my only option. I found this picture online of the type of bike I have. Is mounting a happy time motor possible?

By the way, I'm from around Chicago -- about 30 miles or so outside the city. But, I'll be moving to Asheville, North Carolina, USA in the fall. Oh, and I checked out the pictures of your bike, datz, and it looks like you did a great job on the build. I'm glad you are enjoying it so much, and I hope to share that same joy soon enough.

Thanks again!

Back