Hi from Finland!

Oddball Matt

Local time
7:37 PM
Hey guys n gals just found this place and decided to join in to hopefully learn a thing or two about these builds. New to motorized bicycles as I only recently discovered they are in fact legal here provided a certain set of rules are followed (<50cc, <1kw, <25km/h) but NOT new to wrenching having built several motorbikes and regularily wrenching on both bikes and cars. Got the basic garage setup: grinder, welder, vise and a bad attitude but unfortunately have no access to a machine shop so all fabricating will need to be made by hand.

Currently working on a mid- seventies 24" Jupiter drop bar roadbike that, when I`m done, will be a fully converted board track racer. Currently fabricating a self made springer front suspension on it, after that`s done and dusted gonna start thinking about the powerplant. I have an old kids ATV engine with a cracked tranny casing due to a snapped chain which I might cut in two and just use the motor part, or if funds permit might order one of those conversion kits, four stroke if at all possible.

One thing I`m hoping to find from this forum is a way to DIY a some sort of an engine governor or a rev limiter because the law here says any motor assisted bicycle has to actively DROP the assist off at 25km/h, it`s not enough to gear it so that when on flat it just won`t go faster it has to STOP assisting at that speed or I`ll quickly find myself in a big pile of trouble if the brass ever sees fit to perform a thorough on the road inspection and trust me when they`re gonna see the finished product whizzing down a bicycle lane many a blue light is going to start flashing as these things (petrol engine) are NOT common here at all!

So there, hope I didn`t bore you too much!

Welcome Oddball Matt,
It sure would be cool of you to post your bike builds in the Photos and Bike Build Section of this forum.
Looking forward to your builds.

Hyvaa Paivaa!

A simple RPM switch and relay would do the job nicely.

And a fine day to you as well! (extra points of somehow knowing a bit of our rather obscure language ;) )

An RPM switch you say, must investigate. I only hope it won`t make the rpm cutoff either jerky or poppy.

Back