Hi, from NH (+ some questions)

4doora

Hey, i've been lurking around this site for a few days i i just thought i'd check in:D
My friend and I are contemplating building some motorized bicycles.
I'm not going to buy a kit, because i don't really want to spend any money on this.
I've got a few bikes (banana seat bmx style, huffy kid's banana seat bike, mountain bike, and a foldable bike)
I'm probably going to use the foldable bike or the bmx (or a combo of both).

I'd like to build a set up so i can utilize multiple gears for the engine, and have maybe one gear for pedaling. Has anyone else done this?
I'm looking into my options for an engine and a weed whacker seems to be the way to go. But, i'm wondering if i could use a push mower's engine instead?
I know those engines have a vertical drive shaft, and normally operate on end, but could it be modified to run the other way?
-thanks

Hi, Do a search on building from scratch, on multiple gears, and weedwacker drives. Then ask if you can't find.
Doc

Welcome to MBc. A few have tried the multiple gear setup (including me). I decided it was more work than I was interested in putting into it. Perhaps you will come up with a breakthrough. For low cost, you might look at:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4770
Keep in mind that these guys have built a few.

Back