Hi from the Alamo City, new to motor bikes

MikeSSS

Local time
9:31 AM
I'm Mike from San Antonio, Texas. In the past I used to ride mountain and road bikes and motorcycles. Now days it is a full suspension mountain bike on bike paths and a four stroke scooter. Yeah, aging happens. A major goal is to get more than 100 mpg, the more the merrier.

There have been a couple frame mount, two strokes around here for a few months. The other day a friction drive with a Honda engine went by and that same day I followed a FD with a Robin Subaru motor. Hmmmm.

Craigslist, in a lot of different cities, has frame mount two stroke bikes new and used but no friction drives and no Honda or Subaru motors. More hmmmm. Most of the used China Girl frame mounts are sold after having been used very little. Even more hmmmm.

The present plan is to go with a Staton friction drive with a 35cc class, four stroke motor, Honda or Subaru probably. I like to ride but not wrench and especially not to tinker to try and make something right. It looks like the friction drive fits the lazy guy motor bike plan.

A later plan is to use a four stroke motor with a CVT drive, chain driven to the right side of the hub.

Use: 15 mph is comfortable on a bike for me, 25 mph is a lot less so. I'm old, and overweight and don't plan on significant hills until the CVT build is up and running. The bike might be the full suspension I now ride, or a hard tail, hard fork mountain bike that can be put back together quickly.

Question: does this seem like a good, hassle free way to get into motor bikes?

Advice and comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Here are important questions to consider when building or buying for yourself or others:

1) What is the predominant riding terrain?
(Level ground, hills, asphalt or dirt etc...)

2) What type of physique does the primary rider have?
(Large, small, short, tall or health issues etc...)

3) What will the rider's local laws allow and require them to have?
(Lookup and personally read these laws.)

4) What kind of bike is being motorized?
(Mountain, road, whizzer or recumbent etc...)

5) What is the bike to be used for?
(Shows, long trips, around town, off road or racing etc...)

6) How much of a budget is to be used for the build or buy?
(All at the start or as you can afford projects etc...)

Seek the answers to these questions in order to get the most out of the bike you're building or buying. We're here to help with any questions you may have. The purpose of the "Questions to Consider" is not to overwhelm or confuse you. Rather help you focus in on what will work best for you and help you develop a building and/or buying philosophy. This site has lots of people who can help you but the only way they can is by asking questions. Any one of the questions to consider somebody here can help you with.

A fool never learns from their mistakes.

A smart person learns from their mistakes.

A wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

Good luck with your build or buy.

"I became rich by hiring people smarter than me". Andrew Carnegie

Back