Hi from West Michigan...

Gungatim

Local time
1:03 PM
Been reading for a few months and I finally took the plunge and ordered a Powerking 80cc kit. Received it last night and am anxious to do my first build. I found this site while researching 2cycle motor info because I am nearly complete with a scooter build (built the little scooter from scratch from the '51 Popular Science plans floating around the net).

Anyway, I got my kit and picked up a pair of bikes at a yard sale for $5 ea. An 80's era Huffy 3speed, and a newer but slightly rusty OCC chopper bike. But now that I have my kit, I think I am going to buy a new bike to mount it on. I really like the Del Mar that they have at Walmart. It is (I think) a replacement for the Moon Dog, and looks like the same frame. It is a single speed coaster brake unit for $99. I will add at least a front brake since it is already drilled for one and should be easy. The bike is black with whitewall tires and the little motor should look good on this frame. Anyone built this one yet? Will post pics when done.
I plan to replace the plug and wire right off, but I am also thinking about the fasteners. Everyone recommends new bolts/locknuts for the head and manifolds, but has anyone replaced all the flat head engine screws (ie. magneto cover, clutch cover, engine case etc.) with allen head capscrews? I think they would look alot better than the cheapo screws and not strip out (mine appear half-stripped apon assembly). SS would be great but even the black anodized ones would be an improvement. If I measure every screw and put together a replacement hardware kit I wonder if it would sell? Or is this already available as an option (haven't seen it but haven't really looked either). You can get kits for chevy and VW engines as a popular aftermarket item so maybe I can get a local fastener supplier to kit these up. One bonus to this approach is you could carry a single folding metric hex key set for adjustments and repairs on the road. I remember trying to carry a monkey wrench and screwdrivers as a kid on my bike and always losing them and stabbing myself while riding...not fond memories...

I am thinking the chain tensioner won't last long, I am going to drill down the bolt then cross drill and add a zerk so it can be greased, but even this is a bandaid. Will definitely have to design a bearing setup for this long term.

One last question. Has anyone stripped the paint off of the side covers and polished the aluminum? I am thinking of doing just that--buff to a nice shiny finish and then clear coating them. The castings are pretty thin so I will have to be careful with them...

I would like to end with a big thank you to the members on the forum, I have learned a lot by reading here and am sure to avoid many mistakes due to others experiences.

Back