Hi... just bought first motorized bicycle.... and I broke it.. Huffy Cruiser

mwagner72

Local time
8:00 PM
Ok, so I'm new to motorized bicycles.... and yeah I should have done more research before buying the bike I got...

Brand New Bike... Brand new motor... Price was great.

But I don't think the builder new about the crappy bolts that came with the kits... only after a couple hours the front engine bolts sheared off....

I managed to get one out with a screw out kit.. but I trashed the second one... so that engine case is a paper wieght now... anyone know if I can get a replacement case anywhere?

No matter what I'm gonna buy another engine kit cuase I want to build one myself.

So I am gonna buy a new engine kit and would really like some opinions on the best kit to get for the cruiser.

I super appreciate any and all help...

Mark Wagner

Mesa, Arizona

Attachments

• 2010-04-17 15.55.41.jpg
    2010-04-17 15.55.41.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 1,401
  • 2010-04-17 15.55.22.jpg
    2010-04-17 15.55.22.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 552
Hi Mark. Welcome to Motoredbikes!
In case you didn't bugger up the broke off stud- pick up a set of left handed drills from Harbor freight and try to drill out the stud. I love left hand drills- they usually bite in and spin right out.

I Also needed to get one extracted. and since have gotten Grade A bolts to hold up to the vibrations. and I wraped some Ele. tape around the frame in the mount area to dedden the vibrations and doubled the lock washers and seems to be working. Sylacone works to fix a leak in a tank for 2 weeks so far.

yeah I messed up the bolt on one side

yeah I messed up the bolt on one side

so at least one mounting bolt in the front wont work

but here's what I did...

I took off the standard chain guard and dropped the whole engine down about an inch... and set the front engine case in the groove

it seems to be working

Attachments

• 2010-04-18 10.07.54.jpg
    2010-04-18 10.07.54.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 309
  • 2010-04-18 10.07.39.jpg
    2010-04-18 10.07.39.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 311
What kit did you buy?

I'm just curious, I have have a Bike Berry kit on the way, Flying Horse 80cc. Don't want to run into the same problem. Anyone know if I should just replace the factory bolts outright?

Seth, one of the recommended thing to do is replace those junk bolts with good ones. I do not have a kit, but I have read over and over about how bad the fasteners are on them.

Broken Bolts

I have broke 2 of the bolts that came with kit for mounting to frame. I had one extracted (it was broke in hole) by sm. engine shop $15 bucks but better and easier than tap and die. Since then i have gotten high grade bolts from Fastenal and good so far. I also had one bolt vibrate out so i doubled lock washers and check it here and there.

is there item numbers or something for the bolts you got from fastenal??

I have another engine on its way and I want to build it with good bolts from the very start.

Thanks!

Mark

With a non ferrous case, an easy way to extract broken steel bolts is to place a nut over the broken stud/bolt and fill in the center with weld if you have a MIG. The weld wont stick to alluminum, only the steel bolt. I learned this trick from some of my VW buddies, all our Type 1 air cooled engines are alloy and it works great, espessially on broken exhaust studs.

Back