Hi new to motorised bikes -need tips

The OP's original post reminds me of this story, and it's chillingly close to the bone:

HOW TO CHANGE YOUR OIL

Women:

Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 since the last oil change.
Drink a cup of coffee.
15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Men:

Go to O'Reilly auto parts and write a check for 50 dollars for oil, filter, oil lift (AKA kitty litter), hand cleaner and scented tree.
Discover that the used oil container is full. Instead of taking it back to O'Reilly to recycle, dump in hole in back yard.
Open a beer and drink it.

Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
Place drain pan under engine.
Look for 9/16 box end wrench.
Give up and use crescent wrench.
Unscrew drain plug.
Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil; get hot oil on you in process.
Clean up.
Have another beer while oil is draining.
Look for oil filter wrench.
Give up; poke oil filter with Phillips screwdriver and twist it off.
Beer.
Buddy shows up; finish case with him. Finish oil change tomorrow.
Next day, drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car.
Throw oil lift (AKA kitty litter) on oil spilled during step 18.
Beer. No, drank it all yesterday.
Walk to 7-11; buy beer.
Install new oil filter making sure to apply thin coat of clean oil to gasket first.
Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
Remember drain plug from step 11.
Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
Hurry to replace drain plug before the whole quart of fresh oil drains onto floor.
Slip with wrench and bang knuckles on frame.
Bang head on floor board in reaction.
Begin cussing fit.
Throw wrench.
Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit Miss December(1992) in the left boob.
Clean up; apply Band-Aid to knuckle.
Beer.
Beer.
Dump in additional 4 quarts of oil.
Beer.
Lower car from jack stands.
Accidentally crush one of the jack stands.
Move car back to apply more oil lift (AKA kitty litter) to fresh oil spilled during step 23.

Finally you get to drive the car and you know that it's been done right because you've done it yourself !!!

Thanks jaguar ill give it a try. I'm very good with cars and I've got a job lined up. For me already. It's a nice comment.

When you start your new job, just remember that a left hand screw driver and a right hand screw driver work just as good on any kind of screw.
Make sure to tell the senior mechanic to give you his right handed paycheck if he tells you to get him a left hand screw driver :devilish:

I'm only 12 years of age nearly 13
I put the kit together by my self
I took the cylinder wall off (not knowing the consequences) and snapped my piston rings.
I bought another 2 and trying to put them on snapped them again and dropped half of a piston ring into the crank shaft.
I guess everyone but me missed the most important thing about this whole topic here, this a grade school kid.

Bazz, not only are motorized bikes not a toy you have absolutely no business being out on the roadway on one!
I know you think you 'know it all' when it comes to operating anything in traffic but every state in the US I know of says 16 years old for a reason, you are at least exposed to what it really takes to operate anything on roadway.

Look son, your incompetence putting it together only cost you some money, that same immature attention to details will cost you massive injuries or even death on the roadways.

Please kid, I beg you, get into sports or some other activity and enjoy being a kid, the time will come when you can play on the road with a motor but in my opinion trying to pursue this any further will be the biggest mistake if not the last of your young life and I for one won't give you a single tip for how to pursue it.

Guys, I appreciate what Jag was saying to BAZZ, and that's true. You ever heard of someone beating a dead horse? Anyway................It's not going to get up. You have to deal with the present situation here, and realize probabilities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Bazz, not only are motorized bikes not a toy you have absolutely no business being out on the roadway on one! .... Look son, your incompetence putting it together only cost you some money, that same immature attention to details will cost you massive injuries or even death on the roadways.

Please kid, I beg you, get into sports or some other activity and enjoy being a kid ...

Bah, humbug. Any kid with the smarts to know he should not have left those pieces in the crankcase and the thoughtfulness to report it is one heck of sharp cat. Good on you, BAZZ. I'll bet by the time you are sixteen, you'll be stomping other riders and building hot motors.

That being said, in agreement with KC, please don't kill yourself learning. Hook up with some good riders, and listen to their advice. They can save your ass.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
Thank you so much, I know people say you have to be careful at a younger age but what they dont think is what the outcome could be e.g. (i don't want to sound like I have a big head)if I study cars now I could study more when im older and could possibly make a car that would change the world.

Last edited:
Please kid, I beg you, get into sports or some other activity and enjoy being a kid, the time will come when you can play on the road with a motor but in my opinion trying to pursue this any further will be the biggest mistake if not the last of your young life and I for one won't give you a single tip for how to pursue it.

No offense KCVale, but it's the maturity of the mind, not the age of the kid.Sports are very likely to get you busted up as well (though little chances of fingers chopped off).He sounds plenty intelligent to me, just "new" at it, which all of us were at one time.My father drove a tractor with combine at the age of 10, he drove the pickup on the roads at 12.I knew a kid that was into the chemistry set in elementary, and he was well versed in proportions.I've seen a jr.high made DIY laser that would burn through a piece of 1/4" plywood.Laws are applied to everyone, but are not made with everyone's intelligence level in mind, they're made to the lowest common denominator of us.
BAZZA614, be careful, have fun, watch out for the popo (when riding), and I suggest a friction drive (with a good engine) to start.

I know people say you have to be careful at a younger age but what they dont think is what the outcome could be...
(I) could possibly make a car that would change the world.
Actually having worked from home so I was there in that between school and when his mom got home time for my son who is now 23 and he ended up pretty unscaved because I was there to stop the idiotic things he wanted to try I know exactly what the outcome could be for a grade school kid bombing around on the roadway on an MB with his head in the clouds.

I'll just leave you and this topic with this and know I at least tried to discourage you like I have done every kid I wouldn't sell an MB to.

You could be a world class dirt bike rider in the 12 year old class that knows the machine inside and out and never wreck, it is a different world out on the road that will hurt you, it is your still medically proven under developed and vulnerable brain and complete lack of the 'traffic reality' that comes from experience that will get you.

You will learn just how scary it is when you are 15 1/2 and can get a learners permit and actually drive on the roadway after Drivers Ed class, and that is in a car, until you get some first hand knowledge your more developed brain can take in and retain you will be screwed by another motorist because your essentially invisible to them to start with and even a good full helmet isn't going to protect your still fragile brain from the shock impact.

Develop the next new transportation technology? I would love to see you do it, but take a hard spill and you may be spending the rest of your life just trying to develop a way to feed yourself.
Do you really want to risk that all to real if not inevitable possibility?

I'm done, I just hope you are smart enough to consider my words and wait a few years.

Back