Hi Noobie looking to build a trike

If you can provide a picture of the possible eBay or Amazon trike, this will help limit the engine kits. Also, if you want it to be your baby, I would definitely lean towards a 4-stroke kit and not the 2-stroke China Girls. You want to do more riding than learning... But, definitely some modification is going to be needed as these kits are designed for bicycles but it is not impossible and quite possibly will be more reliable than the "normal" way to mount it. But, first a picture. It is not advisable to buy a bike for motorization without analyzing the bike candidacy first.

I've had a couple of trikes over the years, both pedalers. I've always wanted to motorize one, but the stars have not been in alignment.

If I were to do it today, I would go electric, but I'm stuck between deciding mid-drive or front-drive. I've ridden a FWD electric-hub trike and loved it. Batteries under the rear platform down low for best handling. If I _had_ to go gas, I would do front-drive for sure, because trike drivetrains are almost always permanent 1-leggers anyway, and FWD trikes seem more stable. RWD trikes with significant power have wonky handling characteristics on top of the already wonky trike handling.

Anyway, that's my musings on the subject. Welcome to you and your boo to the forum!

I've had a couple of trikes over the years, both pedalers. I've always wanted to motorize one, but the stars have not been in alignment.

If I were to do it today, I would go electric, but I'm stuck between deciding mid-drive or front-drive. I've ridden a FWD electric-hub trike and loved it. Batteries under the rear platform down low for best handling. If I _had_ to go gas, I would do front-drive for sure, because trike drivetrains are almost always permanent 1-leggers anyway, and FWD trikes seem more stable. RWD trikes with significant power have wonky handling characteristics on top of the already wonky trike handling.

Anyway, that's my musings on the subject. Welcome to you and your boo to the forum!
Thank you. I understand the rational appeal of going electric but its just has no interest to me. I a rough around the edges type if gal, lol

My husband found this today.

Attachments

• IMG_20190424_154116_01.jpg
    IMG_20190424_154116_01.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 160
That trike you found looks good. I found that I could buy a new trike on eBay for less than $200 with free shipping and local used trikes were similar price. Ahm just sayin, keeping it fun.

My husband found this today.

Sweet, I say weld in a bar from gooseneck to seat-tube and there's all kinds of room in that frame for some kinda gas-powered mid-drive.

Example: figure out the mount spacing, a 2-stroke cg kit and SBP shift-kit would fit on that trike. Problem is you'd lose the coaster brake.

This isnt a fixie is it? There is a freewheel cassette/single speed in the middle of that axle in the rear?

Nay my dude, that has a coaster, like most trikes. Both my trikes were 3-speed and had coasters. One can actually see the index arm bolt for it in the pic!

Nicci, go to staton.com site. He sells a plug n play FWD kit along with the honda 35cc motor included. It's the easiest most dependable kit out there and it's made for FWD. Only issue is choosing what roller to use. No one needs to go faster than 20mph on a trike anyways. 15mph would be a lot safer and would give you more torque for little hills, say a 1in drive roller. Good luck.

I think darwin has the best suggestion. The honda 35cc is a 4-stroke so it is reliable but still gives you a good entry into motors. The front wheel friction drive avoids the fabrication you will need with a rear wheel kit. Staton-inc though a bit pricey is a solid reliable company. With space in back, fabricate/build a gas can container (Honda 35 stock gas tank is small) and you are good to go for long rides. Also, get a quality front tire for the friction drive.

Back