hi there new meber has alot of questions about motorizing a bike

Shreve

Local time
9:46 AM
Hi there everyone. I have been freaking out !!
Ill try no to ramble to much but here it goes. Used to mountain bike alot then switched to dirtbiking currently ride ktm 525. I have been telling my friends for years that i think there is a huge niche in super lite bike with engine on it ie montain bike with two stroke mounted on it. I can invision a whole new subculture. anyway i have been researching to the point of confusion and I am hoping i can get some input.

I have an old klein that i want to convert. It is a hard tail. I live at 8000 ft in the mountains. I want to use the bike to do single track trails ect. I have been reading about most of the two stroke engine kits being made in china and the huge difference in quality power ect.
1. what company is really good to buy a twostroke engine kit from?
2. will say an 70cc engine called (80 cc) work ok at high altitude ie 8000plus feet
3. what company are good to buy add ons like high performance pipes ect.

I want to get into this as soon as i can so i can start experimenting. I think this movement has huge potential n the extreme area of mountain biking please any input i can get will be greatly apperciated
Best Wishes,
Shreve

1. that'sdax ebay I.D. dacscommm
2. Yes, with the carb set up properly. 70cc fo' sho', there are no 80's.
3. Walbro carbs can be made to work nicely as can mikunis ect. from "real" dirt bikes. There are a few sellers of tuned pipes, but remember, these are old tech piston ported engines, not modern types...they pull pretty well down low and in the mid range, top out at about 6 grand.

Last edited:
Welcome to MBc. I'm pretty skeptical of the reliability of the Chinese 2-stroke for serious off-road. But then I'm pretty skeptical of using them on the road.

I have used my two stroke chinese mountain bike off road a little bit, its a hard tail too. Unless you are going to radically improve the mounting methods then I would seriously not suggest it! in total they are most often held onto the frame by three of the worst quality bolts you have ever seen, with cast aluminium clamps. But power vs. price it is well worth it! There are no large scale performance add ons, although there are a few people who are developing and selling parts for it. Santa Cruz Scooter Works pipe, and Andyinchville for Kings sales and sevices have both made a tuned pipe, although they will probably be difficult to get hold of. The Boost Bottle sounds like a good add-on there is one that is made for those engines too. But apart from that it is a case of DIY performance mods.
Good Luck though!
Fastboy

Back