High pitched squealing noise.

James L

Local time
10:58 AM
I have got a high pitched squealing noise coming from my 80cc motor all of a sudden.

I cannot pinpoint the exact location other then it's coming from the motor. Being partially deaf doesn't help lol.

It just started this tonight after a one mile ride. Almost like a high pitched whistling noise.

It's not as loud while idling but is pretty loud at full throttle. The engine runs fine as I figured why not ride it like usual WOT lol.

I ride it everyday and have been riding it back and forth to work.
About 20 miles round trip.

I think I have had this issue before and it went away on its own. Am i just being paranoid?

I have got a high pitched squealing noise coming from my 80cc motor all of a sudden.

I cannot pinpoint the exact location other then it's coming from the motor. Being partially deaf doesn't help lol.

It just started this tonight after a one mile ride. Almost like a high pitched whistling noise.

It's not as loud while idling but is pretty loud at full throttle. The engine runs fine as I figured why not ride it like usual WOT lol.

I ride it everyday and have been riding it back and forth to work.
About 20 miles round trip.

I think I have had this issue before and it went away on its own. Am i just being paranoid?
Either clutch is slipping, head gasket is leaking, exhaust gasket is leaking, or base gasket.....

I would try a soapy water spray around those gaskets and if you see bubbles, then you have a bad gasket somewhere

If that doesn't work your clutch probably needs cleaning or adjusting.

a large glob of heavy grease should be applied to the bucking bar once a month or so (I like to pull bar out, put grease in hole and push bar back in, then pack the hole in that cover well too) - a small dab of heavy grease (about the size of a peanut) between the large & small drive gears is needed about every three months (take out spark plug and slowly roll bike to turn the gears and spread that grease evenly around them)

if that doesn't quiet the noise, look for oil residue around the gaskets

Update: the head gasket is blown. Luckily I don't have to order one. There is a guy 2 miles from here that keeps parts in stock. I noticed air blowing on my pant leg and looked and there was a corner of the gasket missing.

Update: the head gasket is blown. Luckily I don't have to order one. There is a guy 2 miles from here that keeps parts in stock. I noticed air blowing on my pant leg and looked and there was a corner of the gasket missing.
That's good news (bad news you have to fix it but better that you know what it is lol)

the stock gasket is horrible. i hope the guy you buy it from has a better quality gasket.

Idk but it's been mentioned a few times by "real" motorcycle mechanics that the copper head gasket is the proper way to prevent the head loosening up and needing to be retorqued.

Stock aluminum worked OK, even reused them a few times before over sqished.
I am now just using Headsmess's twisted teflon headgasket with wonderful results.
Make allowances for squish gap.

Steve

Stock aluminum worked OK, even reused them a few times before over sqished.
I am now just using Headsmess's twisted teflon headgasket with wonderful results.
Make allowances for squish gap.

Steve

How do you know how thick the twisted up Teflon tape will be once torqued down? I have read about it but it is not really obvious how to get it to make a nice neat circle without bulging over the cylinder or conversely leaving a crevice. A gasket at least comes with a circular hole in it.

Back