High quality gas tanks?

noah9988

Local time
8:45 AM
After the gas tank that came with my kit decided to leak in several places even after attempting to fix it multiple times, I had to take it out back. All of the gas tanks on amazon are the same s**tty ones from china and I don't know how to find alternatives. Maybe a plastic one would be better? What do you guys do?

What do you guys do?
I would say that it is more like what we don't do...We don't Overtighten the nuts onto the studs.

Overtightening the nuts onto the four studs on the tank to hold it to the bike frame causes the studs to pull away from the tank causing it to leak.

To avoid this, use some very thin rubber like from an old tire tube and place it between the channel on the bottom of the tank, (some folks glue it to the bottom), and then place the tank on the bike frame.

Then place four lock washers and then spin the nuts evenly on all four studs, grab your wrench and just gently snug them all evenly tight but don't strong arm them on there...lol...that should do it.

The biggest reasons ive seen for gas tank leakage is overtightening those 4 nuts onto the studs...Ive never had one leak on me by doing it this way...DAMIEN

Ive never had one leak on me by doing it this way...DAMIEN
You're lucky then. I put mine on this way and the both studs on the left side leaked. Believe me, I did not overtighten them, it's just how delicate it was. But mostly mine leaked around the weld of the spout thing that you screw the petcock into. JB Weld failed twice, then I gave up.

Little late for that.
239874081_683740785918358_5894646105855909705_n.jpg

if ya got a welder just buy two zinc plated, chrome, whatever plate they got, 2" pipe hangers ( the strap kind), then cut in half, weld one to each place on the bike where the studs goes. then use a nut on the stud first, to set height needed or wanted, and then put another nut to tighten the tank to the hanger. making a sandwich with the nuts and hanger, tht way the studs are not put under any strain.

That'll buff right out!
I really like the monkey bike tank, it looks great on a cruise style bike, plus it holds 4 liters. You have to make a mounting bracket for it though.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back