High quality suspension forks for cruisers and bikes with 1" neck tubes. bye springer

look for an old Mongoose

My current (and only) mb is built on a Trek mountain bike frame with no suspension. I chose this bike because it was cheap used, in good condition, it has really good cantilever brakes, and the main triangle easily fits a 49cc motor. Basically it was a good quality bike that spent 10 years in someone's basement with almost no use. Unfortunately, it predates current component sizes, and has a 1" steer tube. However, I recently saw a similar vintage Mongoose with a 1" steer tube for sale for $10 at a garage sale. It was rusty, and I don't think the shock has adjustable tension, but for road riding it's just fine. All I have to do is get about 1 inch of threads cut at a machine shop because the Mongoose is larger frame than the Trek, and I'm in business. If you want to go cheap and you've got access to garage sales or craigslist, I'd look for a 2000-vintage low-end mountain bike. You can use the shock fork, and also use the derailleur for a motor chain tensioner...

I also found some medium quality old 1" units for very inexpensive. There are 2 models available, a RST Omni and a Suntour. Here are the links.
http://nycbikes.com/item.php?item_id=479
http://nycbikes.com/item.php?item_id=477
BTW I just put the Omni's on my bike and work excellent for road riding.

WOW! $20 for a suspension fork ready for v-brakes?
Anyone know if these will fit my Janis Earth Cruiser?
I'm going to my friend's LBS' graveyard for a scavenging adventure;)

I believe as long as your head tube is not longer than 5 1/2 inches you should be good to go.

It's my opinion that most members here will find that the 142mm long steerer tubes will be to short . The stack height of a typical 1 in. headset is 33mm-40mm. Subtract this amount from the 142mm and you have 102mm-109mm (just over 4 ins.) left for the head tube. I think most folks here are using bikes that have headtubes longer than 4 ins.

ocscully

I double checked and my head tube was only 4 3/8 and that is absolutely the longest you can get away with so that won't work for most people but if you have a 1" steer tube and a 4 3/8 or shorter head tube you will be stylin.

sorry misspelt not "foreskin" but i ment to say was mozarcchi "forks in my bike pile.

they dont have athreaded tube but..... it would come with the original mountain bike handlebars and the holder. if youwant to see a pic of them goto google and search

morzacci mz iii

lol foreskin. I would have tried to catch that with the edit button. Thanks for the info, and i think its a great way to go for someone. I have decided to go in a totally different direction. I am going to put my engine on a mountain bike with 26" wheels. I am looking at the Diamondbacks. they are very high quality, i've got one, my neighbor just got a new one, and I have fallen in love with riding it. So I have decided to go that way. You can get a totally bad a$$ Diamondback Response Sport, with disc brakes and awesome shocks for 430 dollars for the 2008 bikes. the 2009 bikes are about 20% more. I have become friends with the local bike shop, and I really like their bikes.

Back