high temperature silicone tubing

T

Torques

Does anyone know where I can pick up some of this stuff locally? I can't find it in the places I've looked (True Value, Lowes).

I got mine at a hydraulic supply store but you can find it on line. You can also check some of the hobby shops, it is used as an exhaust coupler.

I said elsewhere but I'll repeat here--it's best to use this stuff as it's shaped.

I wanted to run a second muffler, and had two pipes to connect that were 90-degrees, so I cut a bit of this tubing I'd gotten (half-inch inner diameter and 1/8 think), bent it around the bend and clamped it and it looked perfect. When it heated up though, it got soft and a kink bent into where it turned, mostly blocking off the exhaust pipe.

Worked great for about 60 seconds! Then I keep slowing down, at full throttle I'm doing 10 MPH instead of ~30....

Didn't ruin anything, but anyway... :-| When it gets above, say, 50 degrees, I got to fix that.
~

I said elsewhere but I'll repeat here--it's best to use this stuff as it's shaped.

I wanted to run a second muffler, and had two pipes to connect that were 90-degrees, so I cut a bit of this tubing I'd gotten (half-inch inner diameter and 1/8 think), bent it around the bend and clamped it and it looked perfect. When it heated up though, it got soft and a kink bent into where it turned, mostly blocking off the exhaust pipe.

Worked great for about 60 seconds! Then I keep slowing down, at full throttle I'm doing 10 MPH instead of ~30....

Didn't ruin anything, but anyway... :-| When it gets above, say, 50 degrees, I got to fix that.
~
Correct. When making short radius bends (less than approximately 4 inch radius,) use an elbow. To keep it from kinking at temperature, I had to use the entire foot-long piece to turn 180 degrees. Which would have formed a circle with an approximate 8 inch diameter/4 inch radius.

It does work well to connect 2 pieces that are misaligned to some extent. And, in straight, supported runs.

Google model airplane online stores that sell gasoline powered model airplane engines. Almost all of them carry this product.

Back