Higher quality motor mounts

RedBaronX

Local time
5:11 AM
I've already ordered the hardware kit through Sick Bike Parts, the hardware kit that replaces all the low quality nuts and bolts... but what about the actual motor mounts and plates? those look like cheap pot metal, too. Anyone find who has higher quality replacement pieces for those?

with a lot of wrassling and work with tools not really designed for the job, I could probably bend some steel plates into something that would kinda work, but I'd rather find some that are purpose-made as motor mounting brackets (meaning, they will actually fit instead of kind of fit).

The factory motor mounts are pretty much up to the task. They are stronger than you seem to be making them out to be.
I custom fit my rear mount by wrapping newspaper tightly around a piece of PVC sprinkler pipe until it was the correct diameter, then wrapped that with a piece of 200 grit sand paper. All held in place by just tightly holding it in place with my hands. I used the plastic and paper device like a draw file and enlarged the curvature of the mount to fit the frame precisely.
The mount practically snaps in place now, it will stay attached without any clamping pressure, just stuck to the frame tube.

The front mount I made with a muffler clamp and steel tubing welded together to make a clam shell. The bracket is a factory item from the kit.

We also make a front mount, but not a rear mount.

I just placed two orders with you guys in the last week... how the heck did I not notice this piece? I was even LOOKING for mounts!

They look like they would fit on the rear as well... I've got a spacer piece that makes the rear mount look just like the front mount....

so, if the configuration looks the same on the front and the rear, is there anything else about how these mount that I don't know about that would keep your mounts from NOT working on the rear? Does my question even make sense?

I guess I don't really need a whole mounting unit... I just want a better quality plate...

I'm way too sleep deprived to be working on it today anyway; I've been awake for what, 60 hours now... not by choice either...

^
^
^
is a chick :D

and the no sleep is not for not trying... I am very tired but just can't sleep. It happens to me. And it sucks.

I don't recommend using one of our front mounts for the rear. The force applied to the engine due to the chain run is trying to force the engine straight back through the seat tube and that is not what the mount was designed for. The force on the front mount is more of a side to side load which our front mount can handle no problem. Just letting you know.

I don't recommend using one of our front mounts for the rear. The force applied to the engine due to the chain run is trying to force the engine straight back through the seat tube and that is not what the mount was designed for. The force on the front mount is more of a side to side load which our front mount can handle no problem. Just letting you know.

that actually answers my question perfectly-- just because something looks right doesn't mean that it IS right

Back