hmmmm.......(biodiesel discussion)

P

pianoman8t8

anyone ever thought of converting these little engine to run biodiesel? or maybe some kinda gasonline alternative? just a curiousity thing....
I'm gonna be writing a paper in english class about biodiesel, but i also wanted to hear what you guys/gals have to say about ir, or info...

-pianoman

Biodiesel can only be run in diesel engines. For that you would need about a 20:1 compression ratio, a way to inject it, time it, and our engines only run at a 6.6:1 ratio.

You can increase the jetting about 50% and run E85 but there is nothing wrong with using plain old gasoline.

You should do some more research since it appars you are headed down the wrong track.

Try this website for starters: http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel.html

no offense, but that's where i was trying to go with the alternative to gasoline, a.k.a. ethanol. after i posted my last post, i researched a lot about ethanol, then figured out that the closest gas station that sold ethanol was in Boston, Mass. and I'm just south of Bangor, Maine.... so that idea wouldn't really work anyway. but if i do find someone around here that does sell ethanol, that's be cool.

-pianoman

Its a tough issue for a gasoline two stroke. I guess theres ethanol and methanol. The best bet imo would be propane, but you'll need a special carb/regulator and will have to find a way to get oil into the engine to lubricate. It can and has been done though. Sadly, since your still burning oil you lose the clean burning properties of the propane. If a good performing all natural biodegradable lubricant could be found it could possibly clean up the two stroke oil burning engine somewhat. As dumb as it sounds its going to be hard to find something cheaper than gasoline, easy to get, and energy efficient.

before i say this, i'm claiming flame-exemption, i already know it's off the hook :p

i'm a total 2-stroke novice & everything i know about alt.fuels is from the discovery channel...

so, how come i can't just use a 25:1 ethanol/wesson-oil pre-mix and be done with?

what attributes would a 2-stroke engine need to possess in order for that totally-stoopid-question to just be a dumb-question?

after all, this is about atomization (you know, "vapor" stuff) of the fuel for efficient firing...shouldn't we be looking at intake-theory a bit closer? we can always come up with a spark, how exactly do we get the corn to a burnable state?

The ethanol part is easy, just re-jet so the jet is three times larger than it is now....as for the wesson oil, it won't provide enough lubricity for the engine.

Those french fry cars run on the cooking oil, but it's not used to lubricate anything.

yes...so what do we have to do to the wesson to make it sticky enuff? is there maybe another crop better suited to lubrication?

CASTOR OIL.
From the castor bean, used in racing applications, model planes and vintage WWI aircraft engines.

Totally non-toxic, just don't drink it....you won't be going anywhere for a few days, just going..... :eek:

corn & beans...boy, talk about "going" :D

is it doable? a single (& simple) throttle-body injector would be a good first step i think.

Back