Hokey Smokes Bullwinkle, I just bought a Zeda 80!

No, but I really should.
Yes you should...lol...When you measure the ohms resistance against your previously good one as well as the new one you just got, it would be interesting to see if there is yet another difference between them...DAMIEN

Be sure to also periodically check the head nuts/bolt torque for the first few hundred miles, doing so in a criss cross fashion...it should be 12 foot pds, or if your using a torque wrench in inch pounds that will be 144 inch pounds...it will eventually settle in for you as mine did on my Zeda 80...Use a torque wrench if you do not have an adequate "feel" for this as a seasoned mechanic would, because you do not want to overtighten these head nuts/bolts...DAMIEN
I just read elsewhere on this site that 8mm head bolts should be 175 to 180 inch pounds. This hobby is ripe with conflicting information. Hard to know what to believe. I do research, find an answer that seems legit then someone else says something completely different.

I just read elsewhere on this site that 8mm head bolts should be 175 to 180 inch pounds. This hobby is ripe with conflicting information. Hard to know what to believe. I do research, find an answer that seems legit then someone else says something completely different.
I just retightened my head bolts using 144 torque. Three of the four bolts were loose, one gave me a click right away.

I just retightened my head bolts using 144 torque. Three of the four bolts were loose, one gave me a click right away.
omg... the two case hex bolts at the exhaust end motor mount were like three full turns loose. ffs! 😕 lol

Rest assured that 144 inch pounds is plenty, any more than that and you risk stripping things out on the head...lol...Its only cheap Chinese crap pot metal aluminum...very soft...lol...DAMIEN

Did you use split ring lock washers and blue locktite on those motor mount bolts???...I did on mine and they have never come loose...DAMIEN
I did use split ring washers but I did not use locktite on the head bolts. I imagine it's loose from being run for the first few times and getting it's first heat(?) I'll be sure to check them again next time I attempt to figure out this mystery. @Karl Snarl and LA Hover both seem to think it's an air leak of some kind. Is it possible that the head bolts were just loose enough to cause an air leak but not throw any residue out of the head?

I did use split ring washers but I did not use locktite on the head bolts. I imagine it's loose from being run for the first few times and getting it's first heat(?) I'll be sure to check them again next time I attempt to figure out this mystery. @Karl Snarl and LA Hover both seem to think it's an air leak of some kind. Is it possible that the head bolts were just loose enough to cause an air leak but not throw any residue out of the head?
If you pop the top, and see any oil outside of the crush ring on the gasket. It was leaking. Then you figure out why. If nothing is wrong, you put her back together. Always try to find out why it was leaking over just slapping in a new gasket or seal. Was the gasket old, torn, worn, placed wrong, pinched, a rise in the metal of one of the parts, bad machining, have a gander and rectify any issue before tossing a new gasket on and calling it good.

I took a bright flashlight and checked it out. I don't see any residue at all.

Back