Holding piston rings to replace cylinder head

S

skyl4rk

What is a good way to compress the piston rings to replace the cylinder head? Do I need a special tool? Maybe a hose clamp of the right diameter?

tnx

just use your fingers...these rings aren't as stiff as an auto engine's
make sure you orient the rings around the locating pins correctly

Hose clamp. Brilliant.
I've done automotive and big diesel pistons and even though I've never done a Happy Time rebuild,I agree that you can get that little ring in with fingers.

Well it looks like I may have turned my happy time motor into scrap. A few months ago I decided to check out the wrist pin bushing because I got a bearing to replace it. I have done this before on my Puch moped and it was easy. Unfortunately it was like 20 degrees at the time and it turned out to be more difficult than I thought and I kind of used too much force because my hands were freezing. I thought I had it all ready to go and just "tapped" it a few times but apparently something was not right.

Now the alignment fins on the base of the jug are cracked. I was trying to install the piston from the bottom of the jug, I guess you are supposed to slide it in to the top. The aluminum is really soft. I didn't know about the ring alignment pins at the time.

I may still try to fit it in from the top, who knows I might get lucky. The sad thing is the bushing was OK, my bogging problem was probably carb related.

I'm bumming. :???:

make sure you orient the rings around the locating pins correctly

I just tore my engine apart to replace the head bolt I sheered off torquing it. I'm about to put it back together but I read this about putting it back in. Could you elaborate on what you meant there?

NeverMind!

I Looked at it and saw the pins, I thought they had fallen out at first but they are there.

Last edited:
Back