Home made chain tensioner

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
4:14 AM
41gUhe7RWIL._SX425_.jpg

Has anyone made one of these out of parts from the hardware store? If so, what did you use? Post a pic of it if you can. I ordered one from an online retailer but I am afraid it will be a while before I get it. This piece is the only thing keeping my bike from going forward.

I don't like the idea of the full length slot on those. You're never going to need all that adjustment. To me it looks like it'll be able to twist and flex more due to the slot. I didn't try one,because despite being made in China I could only find one to buy from the USA, which makes shipping more expensive than the item, for me.

You can use some aluminum plate to make your own mount, and the pulley wheel from a mountain bike chain retainer or single-speed converter. The pulleys generally have decent bearings and durable plastic, at least. I attached mine using four stainless steel P clips (no rubber though), and it seems pretty stiff. Instead of the slot for adjustable pulley position I just measured up where pulley needed to be to lift the chain over the chainstay and drilled a single hole.

I got one think from gazbike works great plus I can change between 36 to 44 tooth gear without chopping the chain.
This gear is a 41 T the 36T need 2 tension wheels it's pretty close but the chain has strech so I guess it's time to take out another link.
To make one it's going cost few hundred bucks I dout you can, fly a sign on the side of the road if you don't have the money.
IMG_20190515_171943882_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of the full length slot on those. You're never going to need all that adjustment. To me it looks like it'll be able to twist and flex more due to the slot. I didn't try one,because despite being made in China I could only find one to buy from the USA, which makes shipping more expensive than the item, for me.

You can use some aluminum plate to make your own mount, and the pulley wheel from a mountain bike chain retainer or single-speed converter. The pulleys generally have decent bearings and durable plastic, at least. I attached mine using four stainless steel P clips (no rubber though), and it seems pretty stiff. Instead of the slot for adjustable pulley position I just measured up where pulley needed to be to lift the chain over the chainstay and drilled a single hole.
That metal is tuff it's almost a half inch thick no way in hell it's gonna flex and to have all that long slot is for adjusting not 1 but 2 tension wheels that you might need to use changing gear drives from stock 44 T to custom 36 T see my pic on this board post.

The arch chain tensioners are a pretty robust piece of hardware. recently a guy asked me to build him a bike on this frame, and said build it like I was building it for myself. I used the gasbike arch tensioner on it. The only thing he held out on was a suspension disc front end. You could build one from the hardware store, but if you do use some thick stock to avoid what Fury was talking about. It takes about 10 days to 2 weeks from gasbike if your in the US, but it's a good upgrade for piece of mind.
View media item 61562

The arch chain tensioners are a pretty robust piece of hardware. recently a guy asked me to build him a bike on this frame, and said build it like I was building it for myself. I used the gasbike arch tensioner on it. The only thing he held out on was a suspension disc front end. You could build one from the hardware store, but if you do use some thick stock to avoid what Fury was talking about. It takes about 10 days to 2 weeks from gasbike if your in the US, but it's a good upgrade for piece of mind.
View media item 61562
Your seat look like E.D problems.

Back