Homelite XL clutch?

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by kevo_steak, Jul 22, 2008.

1. kevo_steak

kevo_steak New Member

Ok for starters I'll take any heat that comes with being a newbie. Maybe I should have searched for a few hours. There's ALOT to search here. I never realized how popular this is. I've searched for a few minutes and I can't find a centrifugal clutch for this little motor(Homelite XL). I want to put it on a mountain bike (eventually without pedals), when I get it reliable. I was going to build a sleeve so I could put a mini bike clutch on it. I've built racecars but I've never done anything like this before. And I should ask is the stock bicycle chain and rear sprocket gonna hold up and will it give me the correct ratio? Thanks in advance for all of your knowledgable input.

<
  2. muddawg

muddawg Member

heres a great thread about the gearing needed for good takeoff and high end

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4770

i dont know what a homelite xl is but with no clutch im guessing its a weedeater ???
    many will interchange/not all
    so another scrap weedwhacker may have the clutch you need

and i think in that thread a 25:1 gear ratio is needed for a solid take off from a stop without peddaling

good luck
    mike

3. kevo_steak

kevo_steak New Member

I'm sorry I forgot to elaborate on the HomeliteXL. It's a chainsaw. It looks like I may machine a steel bushing to adapt the crankshaft to a mini-bike type clutch.

4. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

my homelite chainsaws have a clutch.....is your clutch bad?

5. kevo_steak

kevo_steak New Member

The clutch is fine. The outer hub will not work with a roller chain. I'm trying to mount the Homelite engine to a bicycle, and I can't find a centrifugal clutch to use. I am hoping for some ideas here.