Homemade bike repair stand?

boyntonstu

Local time
12:52 AM
What is the simplest, cheapest, smallest bike repair stand that you made or saw?

This one comes to mind:

However, I once saw a tiny wood stand that held the bike from under the bottom bracket and the 2 horizontal tubes going to the rear. Look above in the video image and you may imagine what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those big hooks you buy to hang a bike with from the top of a balcony. Works great screwed vertically into a side rail or post. 2 are even better spaced just right, $5.

Those big hooks you buy to hang a bike with from the top of a balcony. Works great screwed vertically into a side rail or post. 2 are even better spaced just right, $5.

vertically into a side rail or post
Horizontally?

I am looking for a portable stand to use in the garage or outdoors with a minimum of lifting.

Well you want portability, need to add those lil details ya know. You want wheels, tool bin, minifridge with that...................lol. One thing I'm sure of is that some of the cheap ones aren't worth ddidly squat. I looked at a couple of cheap ones in person off of craigs for sale, walked away both times without buying. They weren't sturdy enough to hold a bike and be safe. Get some second opinions or buy a quality brand stand like Park or whatever.

Well you want portability, need to add those lil details ya know. You want wheels, tool bin, minifridge with that...................lol. One thing I'm sure of is that some of the cheap ones aren't worth ddidly squat. I looked at a couple of cheap ones in person off of craigs for sale, walked away both times without buying. They weren't sturdy enough to hold a bike and be safe. Get some second opinions or buy a quality brand stand like Park or whatever.

Look at the OP, I showed exactly the type of portable stand I want.

All I see is a pic of a dude working on a bike. Where's the repair stand?

All I see is a pic of a dude working on a bike. Where's the repair stand?

It's the metal pipe on the left side of the bike with a of couple of U type pieces welded on it to cradle the frame in 2 places.

BikeStandPipe.jpg

Clever I suppose if you didn't feel like just turning your pedal only bike upside down AND it happed to fit the frame but not really practical for my use anyway.

We have tried a couple of things but the one rack we built with some scrap wood, glue and screws ~4 years ago is still the main indoor 'build bay'.

BikeRack2014.jpg

It doesn't allow you to spin the wheels, but it will hold most any bike with 2.25" max wide 20-29" tall front wheel in place, even with fenders, and it is out of the way of everything and portable.

The wooden square was a fluke, after the shop fire a couple years back the insurance adjuster cut a 'carpet square' to assess it's value right frigg'n there!
Not from a corner under my bench or something but right there where my bike rack fits best so we dropped a piece of plywood with both poking in the perfect distance from the wall to allow the rack to pivot on the bolt but not move anywhere else when rolling bikes in and out of it.

We can do most work at ground level thanks to a couple of padded rolling dinning room chairs and it's a padded carpet floor so sitting on the ground is too bad, but my buddy and are getting to old for 'getting and down from the floor' so he decided to make a Platform Rack to raise the work.

It does help for some work but a bit unruly and far from portable.

Ramp2-1.jpg

Ramp2-2.jpg

Just idea's for you as both were practically free to make and serve every function out of the way but wheel spinning.

this is my work station, I was tired of laying down on the floor to work on my bike so I took my 3x car bike rack and removed one rail (the kind that hold the bike sideways off the hitch receiver) some scrap 2x4's and a 2x6. I went down to harbor freight and bought some small caster wheels and now I can roll it around my work shop. total coast around $30 and I can hold any thing from a skinny 20" to my 26x4 mongoose beasts, ive even put my huge 32" genesis onyx

142.jpg

Nice!

Caster/roller wheels under the rear tire to allow rotation?

Last edited:
Back