Homemade Muffler Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

YetiWoodz

Local time
8:56 AM
I want to use a perforated metal tube, baffle cones, steel wool, fiberglass, and sheet metal for the outer shell to make a homemade muffler. What kind of sheet metal would be best? Sheet stainless steel, aluminum, lead, etc. And is sheet metal thick enough?

Also, is it possible to make the muffler create a low, throaty sound? I know a welder/fabricator/mechanic so if it's possible, he can do it..

If I am not mistaken, all of those metals will work for exhaust (not lead though)

That being said I believe that steel would be the cheapest and easist to work with, stainless is also a really good choice

I don't think that low and throaty are the speacialties of a small 2 stroke, but someone may have more experience with building 2-stroke exhaust than me.

Hope you can glean some sort of information from this :)

I've made a couple of mufflers, but they were for 4 cycle. I'd imagine you would need an expansion chamber first, and then run into your muffler to get anywhere close to the sound you want. A chambered exhaust will give you low back pressure and the pud, pud pud, sound you're looking for.
Here's a little drawing of the soup can muffler we used to make, just squeeze it in a vise until it's oval. Comes out looking like a mini turbo muffler.
For your case, you'd want a short section of pipe, .063, or .092 instead of soup can, (We were poor back then). Use the diameter of the exhaust pipe to get the size of the muffler.

Attachments

• baffle.png
    baffle.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Also, is it possible to make the muffler create a low, throaty sound? I know a welder/fabricator/mechanic so if it's possible, he can do it..
These are 2 stroke and they will never sound low and throaty it's not able to change the pitch much due to the displacement/size of port,just louder or quieter.A chamber won't change it either as all performance 2 strokes utilize a chamber to control or use the wave speed to aid in cylinder fill,they have small outlet's sized to hold a certain back pressure and when the out let is larger in dia the performance is lost with very little change in pitch.

Ok, thanks so much guys. I have another question, am I allowed to put a half inch thick of activated charcoal packing material that will fill the entire diameter of the muffler (you can't see past it) in order to help block a lot of carbon from entering the fiberglass so I don't have to repack it eventually?

Ok, thanks so much guys. I have another question, am I allowed to put a half inch thick of activated charcoal packing material that will fill the entire diameter of the muffler (you can't see past it) in order to help block a lot of carbon from entering the fiberglass so I don't have to repack it eventually?
I really don't know about that,every time I've tried using charcoal mufflers they eventually get all gummed up.

Would wrapping the perforated tubes with spark arrestor mesh help block out the carbon so the packing material lasts longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back