Homemade Muffler Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to quiet your exhaust down, look at gun suppressor tech. Jesse James was a top notch motorcycle exhaust guy
fu-pipes.JPG

and went into the gun suppressor business
aerosonic.jpg

top notch guy

I contaced RectorSeal and they said that hot block putty not only blocks heat, but it also cools down metal.

If your worried so much about noise you really shouldn't have bought a 2 stroke. A 2 stroke is nothing but an air pump. The more air you flow thru it the more power it will make. Restricting the exhaust is robbing power. That's why they make big loud expansion pipes for 2 strokes. BRAAAAAP!!!

How effective is sintered bronze at muffling sound? It's used in pneumatics to muffle sound, so I'd assume it can be used for motor exhausts.

The only issue I can see is it would be too restrictive since air tools have higher pressure to be able to easily go through the porous material and exhaust might not be able to easily do that. But I'm not sure.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Ok, so the less backpressure, the more power and fuel mileage? Do these engines need any back pressure to operate correctly/last long?

Ok, so the less backpressure, the more power and fuel mileage? Do these engines need any back pressure to operate correctly/last long?
Fuel mileage would actually be slightly better with a restrictive muffler, as it would let less fuel air flow through the engine. A little back pressure doesn't hurt. But there's also consideration that these are an old school type of 2 cycle engine and they, for their size, ( mine's 48cc..) don't make the same racket my 52 cc Jonsered 2152 chainsaw makes and it has a fairly good sized stock muffler. You can drill a few "3/16 holes crosswise through the muffler endcap's pipe to make it flow a little better.

Lasting longer, running better has more to do with getting your carburetor tuned right and running the correct fuel and oil mix. Mine's running 32:1 but I've ran it a 40:1 with no problems. Use Ethanol stabiizer if using 87 octane E10 pump gas.

I'd stay with the stock pipe and do the little 6" long silicone tube extension. What I'd noticed after I changed out my carb to a PeeWee 50 carb and big, DIY Uni style aircleaner is that better designed carbs reduce a little of the intake noise drone which is probably a little over a half of the racket you hear as the carb is closest to aiming at your ears. I was climbing a hill with the new aircleaner and it's a soft purr now. Piston Ported 2 cycles make a lot of intake noise because of the backflow at low revs.

Should I pack in the insulation as much as possible or should I keep it light and fluffy to keep the r value? I'm using Silent Sport wool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back