Honda 49cc 4 stroke maximum speed

waxsurfer15

Local time
1:35 PM
Im new so please bear with me. I am going to put a 49cc Honda on a beach cruiser. What tooth count do I need to get the max amount of speed. Does it work by the less teeth, more top speed and vice versa? Also, is 35-40 mph a realistic speed for this engine and application. Thanks

do some home work friend, all your answers are here and there is a search function now that you are a member.

35-40 is attainable, but not necessarily advisable or legal. The less teeth on your rear sprocket, the faster you will go. You will see about a 1 mph increase per tooth lost apparently, so from the stock 44 tooth that ships with most kits down to the 36 tooth that is generally the smallest sprocket most people run, you will see about an 8 mph increase in top speed, but a probable decrease in acceleration. A stock 49cc may not be able to go quite that fast without things like a tuned muffler or an aftermarket carb, but there are lots of people who have gotten pretty fast using a variety of techniques; look arround the site and you'll find lots of options.

A smaller sprocket on the wheel gives a theoretical increase in speed, but you need to keep the engine in its power band. You could end up putting on a sprocket that is so small that due to weight, friction and wind resistence, you could not coax the engine to run where it makes power.

With a Honda GXH50- I'd give a 48 tooth a shot if top speed is what you are looking for and see where that gets you (depending on the gearbox reduction).

I like my 44 tooth sprocket cause to me what's most important is the crowd lol when I pedal ever so slowly then when I release my clutch my engine starts ever so gracefully and I pull away ever so cooly. :cool:
If you want to go faster than 20 mph on a bicycle it can be done. Turbo does this on a daily basis. But you'll be just as cool going down the beach just for the fact that you're not pedaling.
Get a motorcycle if you want speed. You want cool? Cruise.
I say put on whatever sprocket your kit comes with. It's usually a 44 tooth. Some suppliers come with a 50. That may be too steep.
Try out the 44 for a while then ask yourself if your willing to compromise torque for speed. Then get a 36 tooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember, guys, this is about a Honda 49cc- a 4 stroke- the power band and the gear reduction (depending on what box is used) is not the same as a 2 stroke- In my view, a 44 tooth would be the smallest I would ever want with the Honda and Grubee Skyhawk II- which is what I have. I get over 35 mph with a 56 tooth and with a 48 tooth, 40 mph should not be a problem. A sprocket below 44 may take the Honda right out of its power band and prevent it from revving to where it is happy.

However, as I said, it's dependent on the gear reduction- with a different ratio, a different sprocket may be required.

Oh my bad. I was just assuming a Happy time. I see that little part in that post now.

I know you guy's like the 2 stroke engines, but I cruise to the beach every weekend on my bikes with freinds on 4 stroke stretch cruisers w/ no problems! I agree with LARGE FILIPINO! Enjoy the ride! Relax, have fun, no matter what you ride! I have 5 cruiser's w/Subaru 33 cc engines and they run about 32 MPH! I love them. I have never had problems, except minor adjustments! I really use a turkey baster to pump out my oil! Not really, It was a thought! I unscrew my cap and turn my big *** bike upside down and drain into a old kitty litter box and take to jiffy lube, and they despose for me! Buy the way, my 33,cc engine goes 30,to 33 on friction drive, and I have done some custom drive mount displacement,and observation, and adjustments here and there,and I have never been pulled over,[thank god], But they're is someone I always see with a mid mounted 2 cycle engine at the store that has already had 4 tickets for riding this bike on Florida roadways! My engine is not mounted mid frame, and is mounted on the left rear side in cognito! Even with that, I have been at red lights with the man [not Sam The Man] and the look and wave!!! Ya think maybe because I'm NOT trying to make it look like a real motorcycle???, or Like the Large Filipino say's: Enjoy your ride!!!! It's a bicycle! When I can afford a Harley, I'll still do bikes!!!

Back