Honda 50 dies on every little bump

T

TWalker

New Staton kit and it didnt take bumps well on the first bike I put it on but not near as bad as the 2x suspension bike I just put it on. It dies 10 times per mile on every bump!

My theory is: I fabbed the two front brackets a bit short so the engine tilts a bit forward, not ideal for this 4 stroke, but still not so much it wont lube the engine.

I spent a couple days on these brackets so before I refab Im just wonderin what else could cause it to die?

Im at 7,000 feet is there any special tuning I should be doing?

Thanks

T

TWalker

ahh good point, but mine didnt even ship with an external kill switch. Worth checking out though, the Honda does have switch on the engine.

H

HoughMade

My Honda has an oil level switch- even though the engine may be getting enough lubrication, the tilt + the bumps may be sloshing the oil enough to trigger the low oil switch.

Mountainman

Local time
4:47 AM
Hi TWalker -- I am guessing an elect. problem here.. After reading what HoughMade said in regards to oil level (built in elect. saftey switch) -- could be a question to be asked of Honda -- Happy Riding from - Mountainman

T

TWalker

I redid the brackets and leveled the engine, I checked out the kill switch and WD-40 it in case moisture was in there and it was better for a 2-3 miles and it started again.

This high dollar Staton kit is yet another with major problems! I wont say its useless but man what a pain trying to avoid every single bump in the road and then restarting every block! Luckily I can slow down reach down and constantly pull the starter but if not it would be a $700 door stop. Not much better than my HTs if you ask me.

Spend $700 and it has major issues. Will anyone ever offer offer a kit that just works?

Last edited by a moderator:

stude13

Local time
3:47 AM
hi; your problem seems to be unique as this hasnt been brought up before so how can it be a staton fault? mitch

Mountainman

Local time
4:47 AM
TWalker -- so it ran better for 2-3 miles and then died out again.. It appeared to run better -- did the WD-40 for sure make the improvement ? If for sure it did -- then the problem is in the switch.. Can you take the switch -- out of the picture -- disconnect or bypass ect... -- then retest your unit.. If there is still a problem -- connecting a light to the engine -- light on while running -- bounce your MB in place -- should act the same as hitting bumps while riding -- making it easier to locate problem ?? If this is caused by an intermittent elect. problem -- they can be a real pain at times to locate... Hope that you locate the problem soon -- Happy Riding from - Mountainman

T

TWalker

Good idea bouncing in place to isolate the problem, I can try that. I would also like to bypass the low oil cutoff. I know on my VMax it is so fast off the line the low oil light comes on if I race it.

Anyone know how to do that? Maybe thats in the manual. I'll check it out and post the results.

Thanks