Honda gx35 gearing

DieselTech

Local time
4:43 AM
Ok everyone I got a couple extra honda gx35 engines, is it a possibility to use it as a single speed chain drive bike with the proper gearing. I got a couple new 5.83:1 double chain gear boxes that fit it, & i was thinking with the 5.83:1 gearbox & 10/48 tooth gearing would be a 27.98:1 final drive, or go with 5.83 gearbox & 10/56 tooth gearing which would be a 32.64:1 final drive gearing. What your guys & gals thoughts on the gearing, with such small displacement. Heres a pic of what I'm thinking, just may not with this particular bike. What's you gear pros say will work for a single speed chain drive bike.
20220303_143848.jpg

Awww...At least paint it first...lol...Don't let it look like a refugee from a scrap heap...lol...lol.
Lol I put it on that bike for mental pics, plus I mentioned I may not use this bike for the project. I'm just curious on gearing for a engine this small. When I paint this bike I'll let you know.

Thats geared really low. i have a26” trike with a 49cc HS engine running a 5:1 gearbox. Its running a 10/48 final drive.
Thats 5x4.8 or 24:1. It pulls well from a low pedal start and tops around 25, or at least I back out then as its pretty squirrely.

Thats geared really low. i have a26” trike with a 49cc HS engine running a 5:1 gearbox. Its running a 10/48 final drive.
Thats 5x4.8 or 24:1. It pulls well from a low pedal start and tops around 25, or at least I back out then as its pretty squirrely.
Yeah I've never used a engine that small other than on my belt drive GEBE kit I got. I'm just curious on gearing on the gx35 when using chain drive. Lol is if it even feasible, like will the chain & gearbox rob all the power thru engine. I run a hausheng with a 5:1 & 10/36 gearing & it will climb trees & hit 32mph.

Yep, sounds right. My calcs say 24:1 @7000 = 23mph with an 84” tire(Hookworm). I built an in frame 52cc engine similar to what you have running thru the bottom bracket to a three speed hub. Pulled stumps in low, hit around 35 in high as best I remmember.

Yep, sounds right. My calcs say 24:1 @7000 = 23mph with an 84” tire(Hookworm). I built an in frame 52cc engine similar to what you have running thru the bottom bracket to a three speed hub. Pulled stumps in low, hit around 35 in high as best I remmember.
Yeah I'd like to use a 3spd IGH as a jackshift/shifter, but unsure how to set something up like that. Future build there. I have couple gx35 & them 5.83:1 chain gearboxes & was like wonder if this is possible?🤔

I built a 3sp jackshaft shifter using the hub as the jackshaft. A builder on another forum used to build very successful powered scooters doing that. Used a 3sp trike hub as I remember.

Back