Honda GX35 Noise Reduction?

My GX35 Honda is Cold Blooded, wondered if Others the same way? I have to Full Choke each time, let it run, then Run it up throttle to make sure it is ready. Of course I always want the 30mph:) It's mounted on GEBE MB. I have left Air Breather off for short time to see if improved , None. When it was 105degrees out it did'nt want to run fast @ all! Once evening cooled off then it speed back up. Does anyone else have same issues?

I am wanting more sound not less:) No way that I've found to attach a pipe to it? The carb is sealed and choke is made into the plastic unit, therefor seems to be No way to improve the carb or airbreather as it is oil soaked foam !

I can't see how it would push 2 Adults , You have quite a machine and a Good Engine for sure:) I am 170lbs and My daughter rides with me some and is 35lbs. and any resistance , wind , slight upgrade, it slows down big time.

Don't get Me wrong , it still brings a Smile to Everyone each time I ride it:) Can't wait to get the GXH50 mounted to Quentons Q-Matic, that will be a Sweet Machine and able to Upgrade Carb and Exhaust as well as Pulleys:)

Have Fun , be safe:)

Cold blooded, needs lots of choke, I think it's under jetted. Taking the filter off will make it worse, not better. Unless you can find a way into it, you might have tho buy a carb specifically for a 4 stroke and experiment with jets until it's about right.

You might also try enlarging the vent hole on the gas cap a bit.
It lets the engine draw fuel a little better.
My gx35 always starts on the 1st or 2nd pull, but it does need
to warm up for 2 or three minutes before i take off. I'm okay
with that; I start it, put on my helmet, gloves, & glasses. Adjust
my clothing, package, etc. By then she's ready to roll.
As far as pipes & carbs are concerned, I'm hesitant to mess
with honda engineering. You might get better performance,
but then you might reduce the life of the engine. I'm
happy to have it as quiet as it is.

Last edited:
Kayak,
Ya gotta remember it's only 35ccs, not a V-twin. You're gonna
have to pedal at some point. I pedal mine a lot, but it's a
dam sight easier than it would be otherwise. 30 mph is kinda
unrealistic unless you're going downhill or pedaling like mad.

They are jetted lean.
what carb is on it? it should be a Walbro WY series, they are tuneable.

The Venting is internal if I understand correctly, if You notice the carb has the small tube which when U Prime it or over prime it, it flows back into the tank, they say the cap cannot be vented because of the engine can be mounted any way You want, therefore gas would leak if not for this Venting Hose...I have No Problem getting 30mph when She runs good, and that is No wind and flat st:) I ride rite with the traffic.

The carb on these GX35 are a sealed unit, no adjustment on them. I do make sure the throttle when wide open is opening the carb all the way....if You never get to 30mph with Yours , maybe this is something to make sure of...

I just wanted to see if mine was (Normal) like this or just cantakaross:)

Thanks for all the replies:)

Hi kayaker58

The secret to the tiny engine pushing 2 folks up steep hills is the NuVinci Developers Kit. I won't go thru all the gearing details, but when we start out we have the clutch fully engaged and the motor at ~5500 r/m @ ~3.8 m/h. Since the Developers kit transmission has a high/low ratio of ~3.6 (much better than the ~2 of most CVT's) and since the motor can rev to ~8000 r/m we can go 19-20 m/h. Really don't want to go much faster than that. But it's admittedly a weight/power ratio of ~400 #/hp, so acceleration is leisurely. I use the mirror to watch for cars and get out of the way. It turns the heads in tourist towns when we take it camping.
Stuck in Dubai now, but when I return to St. Louis in a couple of weeks I'll make a video.

The venting of which I spoke is a tiny hole in the gas cap that
allows air into the tank prevent a vacuum forming as the fuel flows out.
There is an air vent to the carb which allows extra air flow thru the
carb as needed for acceleration, but this doesn't affect fuel flow.
The return flow driven by the bulb simply purges the line of air
bubbles.
NuVinci is a great innovation, but pricey. Wish I could afford it.
I can't wait to see the video, Bob.

Last edited:
Yeah, it was an expensive indulgence. My silly hobby and I probably have more than $2M in the product, lots of it wasted on dead ends. And more to the point, NuVinci does not back it up. I did not mean to brag on it, but now that I have overspent on both time and money, I do have a system that works like a champ. Sooner or later, either NuVinci or someone else will market a kit that does what mine does, but does not require the engineering and trial and error that I went thru. The basic tech, the ball movement with the rheopectic fluid is perfect for ~1hp motorized bike apps.

I'd like to clarify that last remark. I just looked up the kit.
The kit itself isn't really all that costly if you already have
a NuVinci hub, but both would set me back a good deal,
being on a fixed income. Looking at it, it appears to me
that the actuator motor is very similar to those used to
drive power windows in cars. Hmm? Think I've got one of
those layin around here sommers. Now all I need is the
hub and a controller..... yeah, right.

Back