Honda GX35 Noise Reduction?

Hi Rawly Old;

You're right on, and your common sense is even better. Problem is, I don't know if NV even markets the Development Kit anymore, so I don't think you can buy a Development Kit now. Especially sharp is your observation is that the actuator is from window kits. It is. The big problem with NV is that they don't let on that you need God's own electric power source to run the system. 40-50 watts of 12+ volts of power, available all the time. I had to build my own charging system to do that. As a practical matter, I can not stipulate that you would not be better off with more prime mover power (Gx50 or better) and a conventional CVT. Only problem there are regs that make that build a more regulated rig.

The basic tech, the ball movement with the rheopectic fluid is perfect for ~1hp motorized bike apps.

Yes, I think that's a fair assessment. When the NV hubs first came onto the MAB radar it was touted as the holy grail. Since then it has faded with numerous failures reported with real world use when powered by small ICEs. The company certainly doesn't seem to want want to associate their product with anything beyond HPVs.

Yes, I think that's a fair assessment. When the NV hubs first came onto the MAB radar it was touted as the holy grail. Since then it has faded with numerous failures reported with real world use when powered by small ICEs. The company certainly doesn't seem to want want to associate their product with anything beyond HPVs.
nashmotos ~3hp 50 cc 4 stroke race bike has had no problems
with his NuVinci hub.

DSCF3148.jpg

There's always anecdotal anomalies, give it time. Failures seems to be related to mileage in outputs beyond HPVs and I've heard of more failures there than long term successes.

Hello Richard H;

I'm belaboring this, but the whole story is a tad more complicated. NV made/makes 2 versions, the 171 and the 360. I have the 171, and folks had some complaints. It's heavy (over 7 lb), true. It broke down, true, but I believe that was because folks ignored the torque limit. You can have a great app and stay under the power/torque limits specified by NV (I did). And it wouldn't shift under load. True for hand shifting. But now that I have enough reliable power to the servo motor I shift up under full throttle, no problem, even with deep gearing.

The 360 was built to enable hand shifting under load, and I have read that it does so. But their appears to be not enough input/output contact area between the balls and the output. So, the shear thickening fluid (I might have been showing my a** when I called it "rheopectic" in the last post. That might not be correct) gets over pressed and lets the balls slip. Even under pedal power.

I think someone with both tech and marketing savvy like Dave Staton, should have marketed a kit with the Developers Kit, Dave's tri-hybrid gearbox, and a charging system. They could use the intermediate tri hybrid shaft as a PTO for the charger (I did).

Lastly, to all, read the forum as you build. I'm green as grass to building and managed to make something we can actually use, mostly due to forum help.

Bob,
Actually, I have a window motor right here in my desk cuz
I've been tinkering with the idea of something like the NuVinci
kit before I ever heard about it here. These small motors
produce a tremendous amount of torque for their size. I was
looking into a way to use that to augment a conventional
derailleur setup. Back in '73 I designed a cvt before the term
was coined, but mine is considerably simpler,(perhaps naively
so), but I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle.
Now with the advances in materials, my design is lookin
more & more practical.

Has anyone tried wrapping the stock muffler with header tape? Just a random thought seems like a little fiberglass wrap would make it significantly quieter. I'm planning on getting one of these with a friction drive for a recumbent. I don't wanna hear the thing at all honestly. I was thinking about trying to buy some motorcycle rear storage boxes and mounting them on the rear with the motor inside one of them. Set up with a fresh air duct for the cooling and intake of course maybe some sound deafening material too. Then the other side would just be storage. It would be super quiet and would hide the fact that I had a motor altogether :) hopefully it works out :)

I got a gx 35.im thinking of goin with 50cc frition drive.any reviews on the gx 49cc honda?ty guys

Guest412916 look up Cavity member and read his posts about the gx50. There's clones of the gx50 on ebay now for $185 FYI. I just bought the gx50 and haven't installed it yet. I expect it to be just like the gx35 but with more power and top end. Small and as quiet as they come hopefully purring like a kitten.

Rode a few miles on the GX50/Staton friction yesterday. Peppier than it's two little siblings, the 35 and 25.
First oil change in the books. As it gets broken in, hopefully it will start performing even better!
No regrets on the purchase.

Last edited:
Back