Honda GX50 flying off the shelves

darwin

Local time
3:36 AM
Noticed late in Dec when I ordered mine there were 5 in stock, now there are 6 back ordered today. They must be selling them quickly. I wonder how many are going to be used for our hobby. The motor is really no bigger than a gx35 but you do notice it's heavier. Can't wait till spring to get her going.

Have you guys heard of splash oil? What's your thoughts about it over reg? Edit: Asking about go kart and small engine specialized oil types.

Last edited:
Ever use a weed eater? Dunno why they don't over rev but most people use them WOT to cut the grass more efficiently hours at a time. The gx35 I had was used WOT a lot of the time due to its 1.2hp, never an issue like the HS 144f or 142f.

SEW had 5 in stock, all gone now and saying they're only drop shipping them now IF AVAILABLE. Selling the heck out of them, wonder how many are for MAB's?

If you look down that page to the performance curves, it has a disclaimer that those ratings are from production model. Usually you can tell by the throttle hook up.

I'd say this is one hot engine that can compete with the GHX50.

Small Engine Warehouse is about 15 blocks from my home here in Muncie, IN. I have about 70 miles on my GX50 mounted to a NOS BMP friction drive setup. I've had a GX31, GX35 and HS142 mounted previously. The GX50 is a very small amount larger than the GX31/35 and a bit heavier. The power difference is significantly more than the smaller Hondas. I haven't purchased the shop manual to tell for sure about a governor but the owners manual makes a reference to altering the governor as being illegal. I do like the engine as it is much lighter and more compact than the HuaSheng 142. Less tendency to fall over at rest. (Yes, I do use a rear sidestand). I break my engines in slowly so can't tell you about top speed. I have had it up to 29 mph for a short burst driving a BMP 1.38 inch roller. Price was $318 including IN sales tax. Very easy starting and nice running engine.

Back