Honda gxh50 compared to clones?

M

MotorbikeMike

Hi guys, I have a lil project that I would like to do, and am wondering if anyone has had experiance with the Honda 50 OHC vs the chinese clones that are so readily availble. I have a "Hung Shue" or whatever it is called, and it runs nicely, but am also unsure if it is a "push-rod" engine or OHC.

My JL Hoot Gearbox has (VERY) prematurely quit, and I would like some first-hand experiances with the GX VS the H-S China-contender. I have not yet opened the JL Gearbox, and do have a grube box, tho I think the shaft is a different size???

I do not intend to use either gearbox, but am interested in the engines potential, speed, power, noise, and reliability, tho I expect tha to be the same in all cases.

I am NOT interested in comparing with 2-strokes of any types, as my project requires a 4-stroke to be sucessful.

When the HS/JL combo was working, it seemed to have good accelleration, and seemed to get about 27-30 at WOT in about a block with a 275 lb rider.

I have much experiance with the 2-stroke "China-Fire" type engines, Whizzers, and a little with the H-S, and would sure like to hear from the other owners before leaping out and buying a Honda just to test it.

Most of you know that I'm in Sacramento, is anyone close?

TIA for your help in this, and sorry, no 2-stroke info is needed.

Mike

Honda Canada

This is where I found the specs for the GXH50, that one is the Honda, not a Clone.

The H-S is a Clone, as is the "Titan".

Mike

Just for future reference, the company's name is Hua Sheng if you guys want to dive into more information for that engine/company.

I remember reading Huang She, Hung She, Hun Shang, & all kindsa different names, but Hua Sheng is it.

Hi Mike,

The Hua Sheng is the same as a Duropower DP049. http://www.duropower.com/item.asp?PID=88&FID=3&level=1
This site also sells some parts for this engine. It is a push rod or overhead valve engine as can be seen in the attached picture. I believe a popular use of these engines is in the digital 1 and 1.2 KW ultraquiet portable generators and as a small portable water pump. I bought the Hua Sheng last August and have had no problems.

Attachments

• P8160005.jpg
    P8160005.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 7,096
the Titan is..

The Titan uses some design aspects like the Honda but it is not the same . It has a different crank, different bore, stroke, carb, Tank, exhaust, CDI. Magneto, Flywheel, Connection rod, Cylinder, Pushrods, valves, and rockers.. Other than that.. It is the same as the Honda..lol. You can not use the Titan clutch pack on the Honda either or vise versa. Other than that.. They are the same ...lol. Oh.. The rope or pull starts will work on each other.. I think... Not sure on that one...Maybe you can swap valve covers. But I am not sure on that one either.. If you can swap these two items, let me know.. Thanks.. Enjoy the ride..

The hunt goes on!

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments. I still want as much more info as possible. Due to some of the responses here, I have learned a couple of interesting things.

#1 the little clones, though nice (I have one), are rated 1.5 hp

#2 The Honda (more money, tho well made) is rated 2.5!!!!

IMHO an increase of .5 hp is major for what we are doing, wouldn't people here pay good money for a carb, or a pipe that would deliver .5 HP?

I'm excited, a full horse is an amazing bonus! Soooo... this morning I ordered a gx50 from small engine warehouse. I have a grube gearbox from an earlier deal, and I have this little bike (see pic below). I think I have put on a front brake, if not, I surely will.

This little bike did a solid 30mpg, with JL gearbox, and the 1.5 Hua Sheng. I had set it up with the 44, which will not be appropriate for the Grube box? I always pedaled off the start, but when I let people test ride her it seems they NEVER did, tho I had told them to! It did, however, croak VERY early, some sort of a GB failure.

I am not up to date on the mix in the gearbox, for the JL the mix that had worked best was, packed with pale yellow Hi-Temp Disk brake grease (automotive), and then, when she started chattering, I found that if I mixed some SAE 40wt with the DBG, it would licquify into a very nice slurry which would continue to melt down, and continually lube the clutch, without bubbling out of the vented bolt at the rear of the box like the stinky 90/140 Hypoid did.

My goal is NOT to do the Grube box as a final, but to compare the H-S with the JL, to the Honda with the Grube box.

I know about searching, but since this thread is about the 4-stroke, and I'm adding (temp only) the grube, how would you guys suggust to set it up?

I probably have a 50th sprocket around here, but never had a larger one, and I can still make the same mix?

Mike

Attachments

• 4stroke5.jpg
    4stroke5.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 5,351
Mike, the Honda is indestructible. If you keep good oil in it and keep it clean, you are good to go. Those gearboxes, I don't know. I have followed them for a few years, and all I can say is that the GruBee sounds like the best. I have two water pumps with the Honda's on them and a china pump, although larger, is, Well you know China. The Honda's come back upside down with the oil on the outside, and still they keep on going. Have fun, Dave

PS it will be fun to watch this thread, as I have wanted to build a 4 Stroke. Oh they are pushrod OHV.

I have the same engine from SEW and rge Grubee, I run a 48 tooth sprocket and i like it, but I am thinking a 50 may be a hair better. The engine really settles into a confortable rpm at almost 30 mph, I would prefer the sweet spot at 25, so the 50 may be the right choice.

As for the gearbox mix- I like te 50% 85-140, 50% engine stop smoke/leak, but others have reported success wit straight gear lube. It has been suggested I try 250 weight gear lube and I might (I tapped a 6mm hole into the gearbox so I could try different lubes). The lube bubbled up out of the gearbox wen I tried to run over 5 ounces. It also leaked, a drop at a time, from the output shaft. At 4 ounces, everything works well, but there is no bubbling and no leaking.

Back