CVT Honda GXH50 + CVT Some questions

Hi Lou, Thank For The Detailed Reply. I Have The Cvt-b. And As You Stated My Sprockets Are 15.6:1 Ratio. That Gives Me A Starting Ratio Of 34.7:1, THE TITAN 50CC 4 STROKE TAKES WITH EASE. It Tops Out At 25 Mph (my Brother Clocking Me With Car). The Throttle Is Not Fully Opening. I Have Two Cvt Builds, They Are On Identical Bikes. One Is A Cag Motor With The Big Bore Kit 52cc!!?? The Other One Is The Titan 4 Stroke 50cc. I Have Not Run The Cvt Bikes Since July, Up In Wisconsin. Been Hot Here. I Did A Shifter Build In My Abode By The Air Conditioner!! Lol. The Weather Has Gotten Nice Now. Have Been Riding The Shifter Bike The Last 4 Days. Have You Seen My Posts In The Comet Thread?? My Free Wheels On The CVT Rear Axle Are Working Great. It Is Fun Racing Around Hood, On The Paved Streets And The Dirt Roads. I Will Have To Check, This May Be The Comet Thread!!! Duh. Thanks Again Lou. *** "Alekor" **** - I Think Gas Is Running Into Your Cylinder When You Lift The Front Wheel So High. If You Have A Gas Line Valve, Shut It Off. Run Engine Till Carb Is Empty. When It Will Not "awake" Remove Spark Plug And See If It Is Wet. Let Us Know How It Go`s. Ron

Attachments

• 100_1247.jpg
    100_1247.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 1,198
  • 100_1239.jpg
    100_1239.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,110
  • 100_1246.jpg
    100_1246.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 1,502
Last edited:
There was one serious question on engine Honda GXH50 - I live in the many-storeyed house with the small lift. In the lift a motor-bicycle to have to incline on 90 degrees upwards a forward wheel - whether will normally endure engine Honda GXH50 such inclination? Whether oil or gasoline will begin to flow? Problems after an inclination with the engine does not awake?

That, I don't know, alekor. The Honda GX35 would have no issue with it - Since it's lubrication system mists the oil, and circulates the oil mist around the insides of the engine, it can operate, or be stored, in any position.

TREEWK - your bike is geared to top out at over 40 MPH. (38 MPH max recommended continuous output.) However, this also means that the CVT isn't fully 'shifted' to a 1:1 belt ratio until you hit approximately 24 MPH. Spending almost all your time with the CVT not at a 1:1 belt ratio, may wear the belt faster than it otherwise would.

It's really better to have a CVT based bike geared a little higher than optimum, and adjust it upwards, instead of the reverse...

Last edited:
Lou, Thanks Again. When I Run The Cvts Again, I Will Make Sure The Throttles And Such Are Correct. If I Understand "alekor" Correctly; He Is Hauling The Motorbike In A Small Lift (elevator ??) To Get Upstairs To His Living Quarters. Then It Will Not Awake (start??) The Next Time. The Lift Is Small And He Has To Stand The Motorbike Up At 90 Degree Angle?? Gas Would Flood The Combustion Chamber !?? Ron

Yes you understand all correctly.
Better to say - whether it is possible to incline Honda GXH 50 on 90 degrees and what are possible consequences?

Last edited:
According to the GXH50 owners manual
Honda said:
Keep the engine level when transporting to reduce the possibility of fuel leakage. Turn the fuel valve to the OFF position...
This implies that there shouldn't be an issue with the oil - just the gas. If you close the fuel valve, I wouldn't think that there would be major issue with transporting the bike up/down the elevator. (IF you got stuck in the elevator, though... :sick: ) If the fuel valve is closed, the only place the gas could leak would be at the fuel cap. (the air vent valve could leak, I suppose.) If there was leakage at the fuel cap vent, you could buy a spare fuel cap and seal the air vent so that fuel COULD'T leak. Then, swap the regular fuel cap with the sealed version when you're on the elevator. Just mark the sealed fuel cap so you can easily identify it, as your engine would stop after a few minutes if you forgot to put the original cap back on the tank before using the engine...

When going down the elevator, you would probably want to wait a few moments, to allow the oil to settle to the bottom of the crankcase, before starting the engine.

Last edited:
According to the GXH50 owners manual This implies that there shouldn't be an issue with the oil - just the gas. If you close the fuel valve, I wouldn't think that there would be major issue with transporting the bike up/down the elevator. (IF you got stuck in the elevator, though... :sick: ) If the fuel valve is closed, the only place the gas could leak would be at the fuel cap. (the air vent valve could leak, I suppose.) If there was leakage at the fuel cap vent, you could buy a spare fuel cap and seal the air vent so that fuel COULD'T leak. Then, swap the regular fuel cap with the sealed version when you're on the elevator. Just mark the sealed fuel cap so you can easily identify it, as your engine would stop after a few minutes if you forgot to put the original cap back on the tank before using the engine...

When going down the elevator, you would probably want to wait a few moments, to allow the oil to settle to the bottom of the crankcase, before starting the engine.

Thanks!!!

I do not understand one moment in variator work - why at turns without loading the variator transmission ratio varies directly proportionally to turns, and on the schedule the transmission ratio varies only in at certain turns.

attachment.php

You are right. I'm guessing Lou's graph application does not know how to make a curved line.:whistle: In actual practice, there are no flat spots. There is just less "climb" noticed once the variator and contra pullys are at their optimum and only engine power is rising to its maximum.

Back