HONDA GXH50 or Mitsubishi TLE43

This question will always come down to a few core questions...

What's the application?? ...type of bike and purpose of riding?

But the biggest question will always be... Would you rather mix your oil in the gas, or fill it with straight gas & change the oil. BTW, mixing's not so bad... but sometimes you need to get somewhere and won't have the gas already mixed, so it might take you a bit longer. That's why 4-strokes seem to be suggested more for a daily rider... but of course, the Mitsu could be a daily rider also, but you just have to make sure you plan out how much mixed gas you've got and how much ya need.

Mixing gas and oil is NOT a big hassle. Dump the proper amount of oil in a gas can (I use a 2 gallon can) and pump the gas in on top of it to mix it up. I carry a spare fuel bottle in my water bottle holder (which I would even if I had a 4 stroke engine and it wasn't pre-mixed). Another upside to a 2 stroke is that you don't have to mess with changing the crankcase oil like you do with a 4 stroke. And then of course the simplicity, weight, and power differences. To me it's a no-brainer, but I know a lot of folks like the 4 strokes.

Warner

PS - Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the 4 strokes were not designed to be run full throttle for extended periods of time, whereas the 2 stroke engine is designed to be run full throttle for extended periods of time. Is this not the case?

I think both are good engines. I would go with the four stroke
because it stores better during the off months. My two stroke garden stuff
gets a gummy carb if it sits for to long. I do run them out of gas before storing
and that helps some,but my fours stroke stuff always seems to start right up.

A

PS - Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the 4 strokes were not designed to be run full throttle for extended periods of time, whereas the 2 stroke engine is designed to be run full throttle for extended periods of time. Is this not the case?

Yes that is the case!

A

I think both are good engines. I would go with the four stroke
because it stores better during the off months. My two stroke garden stuff
gets a gummy carb if it sits for to long. I do run them out of gas before storing
and that helps some,but my fours stroke stuff always seems to start right up.

A

Try running some stabil fuel stabilizer through your last gallon or tank of gas, it'll keep things clean. Works like a charm for me I use it on all the toys.

I found the honda for sale online but I can;t find the Mit. Anyone have a link to where I can pick one up?

The Mitsu TLE's are commonly used in small scooters too, so Google "TLE-43 Scooter engine" and you'll come up with some links to various retailers.

Two strokes offer great power/weight ratio, which is why they are a natural fit for motorcycles and outboard engines. Four strokes are getting better, but it is pollution regulation and not their own merits that is making them more popular. I rode an old 70's Kawasaki RD-350 two stroke sport bike, and let me tell you, that thing was light, maneuverable and powerful! Gas mileage did suck though, and any greenpeace member would have a heart attack if they saw the HC numbers from the tailpipe! (It was a very quiet bike too!)

Back