Honda & Schwinn D7 Build

Here is my latest Fosscati Billinudgel Bullet 2010 build. The differences between this and previous Billinudgel Bullets is that I stove enamelled the tank in the kitchen oven and I spray painted the engine cover black to match the bike. I've finally managed to get the engine mount nearly perfect after so many builds but this bike had a few serious problems.
The chrome literally fell off the handlebars during the build (really bad chroming from Schwinn in China but that's nothing new). The front v-brakes were harder to set so they worked effectively than any previous D7 I've had and I spent 15 hours fiddling around to get them to work (problem caused by poor precision welding of bosses to forks). I used axle spacers to help get over the problem and filed the caliper holes to allow the shoes to go low enough to hit the rims and not the tyre. I split the downpipe on the poo poo exhaust trying to bend it cold using wooden blocks in a vice - I didn't want to use gas and discolour it. The Grubee freewheels have also taken a quality nose dive and I had to dissemle it and rebuild it using grease and loctite on the flange. The sprocket clamp is my own fabrication in stainless steel.
Have to order a whole new one because they don't sell just downpipes.
The rear rack is always a nightmare to fit because it isn't very precisely measured and is a brute force job using 2 strong men.
That's about it but the bike will eventually have it's long exhaust and also a Brooks 119B black leather saddle with a bum area about the size of a cricket pitch and huge coil springs (5 springs in all). The saddle is my Xmas present to myself and I'm hoping it will be supremely comfortable. Incidentally I don't think the HS motor could pull this bike because it is steel and weighs a ton. I wouldn't even consider trying to use one.
In my view and from my experience I much prefer the alloy Schwinn cruiser frames because they are better crafted but this steel frame comes with springers and the alloy frames don't and can't fit them cos headtubes are too long. The quality at Schwinn has taken a nose dive on next years models and I am seeing all sorts of little corner cutting tricks in the manufacture. Sadly the prices haven't nose-dived to match the quality fade - this bike retails for Aus $975.00 and it isn't worth the price believe me. For an extra $150 you can get an Electra which is about 30% better made.

Attachments

• Fosscati Bullet6.jpg
    Fosscati Bullet6.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 608
  • Fosscati Bullet23.jpg
    Fosscati Bullet23.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 862
  • Fosscati Bullet24.jpg
    Fosscati Bullet24.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 896
  • Fosscati Bullet1.jpg
    Fosscati Bullet1.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 719
  • Fosscati Bullet17.jpg
    Fosscati Bullet17.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 685
  • Fosscati Bullet20.jpg
    Fosscati Bullet20.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 524
  • Fosscati Bullet22.jpg
    Fosscati Bullet22.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 526
  • Fosscati Bullet21.jpg
    Fosscati Bullet21.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 703
  • Fosscati Bullet16.jpg
    Fosscati Bullet16.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 983
Last edited by a moderator:
Finished Fosscati FG4 Billinudgel Bullet

Here is what the finished Fosscati FG4 Billinudgel Bullet 2010 model looks like.
She'll be getting a Brooks saddle tomorrow so I'll be taking more pics when I install the saddle. It's a B190, their largest saddle, with room for two enormous buttocks. New features include twin HID headlighs that can fry a snake at a hundred paces and a cigar lighter with Blackberry reception!

Attachments

• PICT0029.jpg
    PICT0029.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 490
  • PICT0077.jpg
    PICT0077.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 535
  • PICT0062.jpg
    PICT0062.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 1,933
  • PICT0053a.jpg
    PICT0053a.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 494
  • PICT0044.jpg
    PICT0044.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 469
  • PICT0057.jpg
    PICT0057.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 516
Thanks guys for the compliments. She runs really well BTW Mike. It is a heavy steel bike and so it isn't quite as responsive as the my alloy Schwinn but it holds its own in the wind and it will cruise at the same speed as the lighter bike - probably uses considerably more fuel though.
The new Brooks saddle is really comfy and I love sliding about on the smooth leather. The front coil spring is a bonus and I reckon after a couple of years I'll have stopped thinking about the Aus $286.00 I paid for it and the air freight from UK. It really does smell good as well! I'll post a picture of it tomorrow. The added comfort is exquisite but just because the bumps are no longer felt doesn't mean the bike likes going over bumps. The standard Schwinn saddles are very very good too but in intense heat like today the leather is much cooler on the old posterior and the wedding tackle appreciates the big spring at the front of the saddle.

Attachments

• Brooks B190.jpg
    Brooks B190.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 506
I have come to the conclusion after building ten of the Schwinn Deluxe 7s that the cheaper alloy Schwinns are a better bike overall because they are lighter and consequently less wear and tear on the drive train. The D7 is too heavy and loosens the 11T freewheel drive sprocket all the time even though I threadloc it closed with red threadloc and leave it 2 days to set. The alloy Schwinns haven't got the springer forks and can't take them cos the head tube is too long but the rigid tapered steel forks are twangy enough and the ride is quite adequately comfortable.
I really don't reckon the D7 is worth the weight and the high maintenance costs even though it is comfy, beautiful and holds its line in a crosswind.
I think I might try a Felt MP next if I can get one in Australia.

Some pics of my bike with the Brooks B19 saddle

Here are some recent pics of my Schwinn deluxe 7 with the Brooks saddle fitted. The saddle is extremely comfortable. I also respoked the rear wheel with 12g swiss DT spokes (sorry they are only 14g cos the hub won't fit 12g) cos the stock ones were breaking on the rght side hub flange.
Since posting this I took the bike out and the saddle rails snapped. I think I need a special dual rail clamp to grip all 4 saddle rails but at least Brooks will probably replace the broken rail gratis. Stay tuned. $287 worth of saddle now awaiting a new part. Unknowingly I was wearing my T-shirt inside out which is supposed to bring luck!!! The local bike shop lent me a saddle to ride home with.
Called Brooks in England & new rail & bolts etc are being sent out to me today. That's the sort of service I expect from the best of British.
Actually one side of bottom rail was snapped without me knowing it and I only noticed when the other side broke. I will probably have to delete the suspended saddle post so I can fit the twin rail clamp on. If the saddle had come off I could have been rodgered by my own saddle post and if you are to be rodgered by a saddle post then it may as well be a sprung saddle post cos it mightn't be quite so sore! Maybe it was my lucky day after all.

Attachments

• PICT0001.jpg
    PICT0001.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 413
  • Brooks Saddle.jpg
    Brooks Saddle.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 425
  • PICT0009.jpg
    PICT0009.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 422
  • PICT0014.jpg
    PICT0014.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 378
  • PICT0005a.jpg
    PICT0005a.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 387
  • PICT0001a.jpg
    PICT0001a.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 410
D=7

I love what you've done with the bike. It is a beautiful ride! My second build is a New Belgium Fat Tire Ale bike (2009) Schwinn. It's pretty heavy, but I love the tank and the springer fork. I've posted pictures in the pic gallery under 'New Belgium'. Keep on motorin'!

Back