Honestly, Is a fuel filter really necessary if you have the screen in tank?

Bits of enamel or rust from inside the tank breaking off and getting sucked into the engine is the worst that could happen. I wouldn't say it's necessary, but you can get one from Autozone for $2 and it doesn't hurt your engine's performance at all so I can't imagine any reason not to use one.

Only reason is I broke a bolt on the crank case and don't care about this motor any more. Can't fit an air filter till I get the off set intake. Surprisingly running without an air filter has done no noticeable damage to the cylinder. And the roads are all covered in salt and crud.

On most engines, I find air filters to be pretty overrated. As long as you're not running in a sandy or dusty environment you're not likely to suck up enough crap to kill the engine a whole lot faster than you normally would have. You're definitely not helping the reliability but you're not hurting it as badly as some would say. 2 strokes in particular don't seem to need much air filtration on account of not having a valve train.

I've got a mudding tractor with a 13.5 horsepower briggs on it, it's gone through dozens of waist high mud pits with the only air filter being a sock attached to the end of the snorkel with a hose clamp. It looks trashy but it's cheap and gets the job done, and is very easy to clean it once it gets too caked up to work right. My MAB has a velocity stack with a bit of foam inside, so not a whole lot of filtration is happening there either.

I always add one. I think the Chinese motors need all the help they can get. They look kinda cool, and when it's time to sell, it shows you care about your builds. They're only a couple of bucks, too.

It is not unusual for screen to clog from rust/manufacturing residue and having to mess with removing/cleaning it on a ride with fuel in the tank is not something I would recommend. It happened to me many years ago and ever since then I remove the screen and install a fuel filter that has larger capacity and visibility shows if it is clogged...plus I carry spare one with me that is easy to replace on the road.

So, answer is: Yes,run a fuel filter and get rid of that stupid screen in the petcock valve.

I will do away with that filter then. And I imagine it will also do away with the reserve capability. Which is highly unnecessary when I can just unscrew the cap and look inside while I'm riding.

I don't know if your tank has a flexible pick-up tube, but if so, you could always put a Walbro in-tank filter and be done with it, nothing gets through those.

no I have a screen stem type. would not be hard to switch out but I'll just remove it and get a more low profile in line filter.

Back