Hooking Battery Charger & Lights to White Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billtheworm

Local time
5:29 PM
I bought this battery charger for a lighting system that supposedly draws power from your white wire to charge a battery, to then power the lights.

I've hooked it up properly to my engine, but as soon as I connect the main wire for the battery charger to my white magneto wire, the engine dies. It's acting as a kill switch.

I'm not sure if it's because I have another wire grounded to the engine and it is closing the circuit, or if I'm just an idiot.

Has anyone had any experience with these? Please help!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/400109389682

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I cannot speak from personal experience, but reading the forums here and on other sites the white wire is pretty much useless to supply accessory power......it does exactly what your issue is....robs electricity and there is not enough left to generate a good spark.

yep, older build instructions say to use white for kill switch

folks that know, never use white wire for anything

In the electrical forum CroMagnum is going to be testing out one of the add on coils to see what it will put out, stay tuned!!
It's under the (Anyone with experience with magneto 12 volt generator) post.

Once I get enough money and it isn't going to replacement or better parts I might mangle something together that doesn't rob energy in any way. If it works I'll get a buddy with a lathe and CNC machine etc to make a few for you guys, and maybe more if its reliable and cheap enough to mass produce.
I've already got ideas on how I could get it working well but I'm broke and can't seem to find the time or funds to try a prototype...

You can't do it without robbing power, even an additional flywheel will technically add resistance to the entire crankshaft rotation, you'll loose a tiny bit of power but will have more than enough electricity to be safe with. I was considering bolting a second magnet on the crankshaft and stacking a second magneto up and regulate the power coming from that into a charging system. The bullet train has a mimic of a simple 4 stroke flywheel and coils that gets used in a lot of those dirt cheap Chinese scooters and super generic atv toys. It has a Yamaha equivalent but don't remember which one, but the point is I can buy another one that would fit and it wouldn't cost and arm and a leg at bike berry prices. Basically don't want to bother with trying to make an add-on power supply if I can manage since this one is self contained.

I was thinking of breaking out the magnets and replacing them with some more powerful ones, then I could get more juice at the expense of a little bit of torque.

I can do it without robbing power because our engines give off waste energy that can be recollected for other use (lighting).

I can do it without robbing power because our engines give off waste energy that can be recollected for other use (lighting).
The best thermal converters aren't efficient enough to provide good lighting either.... Maybe a special blower hooked to the exhaust to spin a turbine but that hasnt got much to it either..

The seller of this battery charger on ebay explicitly states the following: "will operate without any interruption to the bike's ignition system whatsoever!"
So is this just a lie?

The seller also offers the 'Mini-Gen' generator to supposedly generate independent electricity to be used with the charger if you do not wish to use the white wire.
Another lie?

Does anyone have experience with these products? Are they worth the $50 plus shipping?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Special-Ma...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Volt-Ele...304267?hash=item5d285f79cb:g:E78AAOSwd4tT3v34

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back