Hookwormers....

Crisco

Local time
9:15 PM
To the guys out there running Hookworms...

I'm about top start building up my wheels with a pair of 32H Novatec D041/2SB hubs and DT Alpine spokes. I'm looking for a quality rim that's just standard polished alloy to suit in 26"... Rare as rocking horse s**t in Australia..!

Anyway, before I actually buy the rim, are there any issues with a 26 x 2.5" Hookworm on the rear in a 135mm dropout Skyhawk style tank frame..??

I really don't want to be offsetting the engine to get chain clearance as I have a pedalstool mount. If the Hookworm 2.5" is ok, what width rim are you guys running..?

Cheers in advance..:)
Crisco

no problems. I've previously used a 2.125 inch rim with holy rollers and there were no clearance issues. hookworms should be much the same,

no problems. I've previously used a 2.125 inch rim with holy rollers and there were no clearance issues. hookworms should be much the same,

2.125" rim..?? That's nearly 54mm..!! What width rubber did you have on that..?? The 2.2 or 2.4..?

that was with the 2.2, but I would have been clear to run a 2.4 if it weren't for the fender being in the way. that wheel was off a badly mangled semi-fat bike thing I picked out of a dumpster so I don't know what the wheel was. wasn't quite what I think of when I think fat bike but still too wide to be beach cruiser.

I may have had to shim the motor over a hair, don't quite remember. I know I didn't do anything drastic with it.

Last edited:
that was with the 2.2, but I would have been clear to run a 2.4 if it weren't for the fender being in the way. that wheel was off a badly mangled semi-fat bike thing I picked out of a dumpster so I don't know what the wheel was. wasn't quite what I think of when I think fat bike but still too wide to be beach cruiser.

I may have had to shim the motor over a hair, don't quite remember. I know I didn't do anything drastic with it.
Dumpster bikes are always the tastiest!

I use Sun Rhinolite rims. 27.5mm width double wall with Cyclops CST's 26X2.4 and chain clearances are very tight in a skyhawk copy frame, or any frame I have used them in. I think you will need to get creative using the 2.5 hookworm to achieve the chain clearance your discerning eye demands.

I use Sun Rhinolite rims. 27.5mm width double wall with Cyclops CST's 26X2.4 and chain clearances are very tight in a skyhawk copy frame, or any frame I have used them in. I think you will need to get creative using the 2.5 hookworm to achieve the chain clearance your discerning eye demands.

Yeah I've been looking at the Rhynolites - no polished bare though...

Awesome link..! have you bought from here before..??

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No I'm not in the USA, they're a UK brand so I can get them everywhere here but I buy them used on eBay so I effectively get a free hub. :cool:
@Timbone has one of these rims on the rear of his motorised chopper, and I have four of them for my postponed shifter project (I can't help myself). The used complete wheels are too cheap to refuse on UK eBay, probably because they're unfashionably (very) heavy rims, especially the 48 spoke rear wheels. Halo spokes are pretty crap but you will have a seriously bullet proof wheelset with Alpine III's on these.
I used to use the Halo Combat rims for dirt jumping and of course I never broke or bent one, but the SAS are the next generation from the Combat. Not only double walled but now also double eyeletted and double joined (pinned and welded). The double eyelets allow masses of spoke tension to make your wheels stiff as anything. :cool:
13566.jpg

For us not having to worry about pedalling it uphill these are a really safe choice, I think. :)
36mm outside width, 30mm inside. I put 2.2" tyres on mine but tried a 3" knobby Nokian Gazzalodi and they fit that just fine too. :)

Back