Hooray! Got the Press-fit Bearing Off Cleanly!!

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
I have thermal fit bearings and dies together hundreds of times. Works good but I use an oven only to 170 for bearings to not cook the oil out of the bearing or compromise the seal and put the shaft in the freezer until -20 F or on a day like today (-8 F out at noon) I would put the shaft outside. You have to be quick about it. For dies I've used a torch or 1000 degree oven cause they aren't delicate like a bearing.

Froggy is on to something there, heating up a bearing might not be a good idea. Shaft freezing is way better.

I'd say since the bearing is encased, overheating it is probably not a good idea but,
the casing should be able to stand 225 degrees F, the boiling point of water without
damage. My opinion. So freezing the shaft and heating the bearing may work. Someone
has to try it.

I'd rather put my effort into the puller you posted, during installation of the new bearings freezing the shaft would have to help.

Froggy is on to something there, heating up a bearing might not be a good idea. Shaft freezing is way better.
That's why I suggested freezing the shaft to re-install the bearings on the shaft. I'm the first to mention it on this thread (or for quite a few months anywhere on this forum). The info I relayed was posted on this forum a few years back, IDK where (wasn't me, this is me just mentioning other's findings).

I made an error. The boiling pint of water is 212F. If I had a Stanton drive I could
experiment and develop the best method of installing the bearing with freezing
or freezing and heating techniques. Someone has to try this, but now there is
at least an approach to both removing the bearing and installing it.

Here's a video of using the harbor freight puller to remove a
flywheel. I used it in the same way except the bolts go
through and behind the c channel with nuts to pull against.

A good trip for sealed bearings.. the side plates can be removed with a pick set and be snapped back in. A sealed bearing can be re-greased with some good moly grease and be good to go. From servicing big equipment some times you have to drill a hole in the side plate and syringe some grease in lol. The bearings last awhile with heavy use. On the old bb Ford engines with rocker shafts, the same is done by using hot oil on the rockers and freezing the shaft. Works every time.

Are you saying you can take a sealed bearing apart, or drill a hole in it to
pump in grease??

If you need to. When they make noise. Either can be done and put a dab of sealer if you make a hole. Making the hole isn't preferable.

Back