Hoping to Ride from Coast to Coast! Summer 2010

Awesome, again thanks for the input. I'll take it all into account. So I'm thinking now that I should expect to have an average speed of 15 to 20 mph. I still am sticking to somewhere around 10 hours a day though. I understand it will be painful and I'm prepared to deal with that. So this will double my ride time, making it about 20 days one way.

I do have a question about the engines though. I keep hearing Japanese engine, or chinese engine, but I am having trouble finding them. Does any body know a website that sells these engines? Oh and what about registering it as a moped? How do I go about this?

Last edited:
The moped registration requirements vary wildly by state. Search your DMV site. You will likely need a VIN number and a motor vehicle title in most states. In some state those are easy to optain, in others quite difficult. Here in PA they insist a moped have a generator/alternator to charge a battery to run the DOT approved lights. Not all states require so much complication. Staton and Golden Eagle both sell engines, alone or with their kits. There used to be a site called Small Engine Warehouse, but I haven't visited in quite a while

Good Luck! I hope you do it and stop in for a visit on your trip. It might be more realistic to build and prepare for later in the Summer, or even for next year, but do please go for it.

being the "meanie" that i am...

seriously, fallstherain (neat nick btw), the absolute best answer you can get right now is "read read read" everything on MBc you can stand...engines and sources, drawbacks and advantages, bicycle components, safety gear, lighting, laws, cops, cagers, etc...i promise you it's all here, and i promise you it'll become more clear if you do the footwork for yourself.

at your age, such an adventure would be hard to ever top...you'll prolly be hooked for life if you pull this off.

but to pull it off, you're gonna have to learn some self-reliance above all else...the answers are already here on MBc...as much as i'd like to see you hit the road safely and successfully, i also know you're gonna go nowhere fast if you sit on this thread waiting for answers instead of reading and learning. for fun, try starting with the MBc-links in my signature: Mark Twains' humorous beginners' observations are very true to this day, & bamabikeguy is a founding member of MBc, recently passed, who was THE ultimate MB-Traveler...search out his other posts too :cool:

remember, DON'T buy a single thing until you KNOW you're ready :geek:

Last edited:
Ok well, I'll get on that right away augidog. Thanks everyone for your help. I'll most likely post when I'm headed out, and show you guys my ride and all that jazz. Maybe I'll start a blog where I can put up journal entries. We'll see. But again, thanks. Everyone helped me think about this more realistically. Time to get reading!

start in "The Garage" for a mechanical education

please DO update this thread whenever you've learned something, decided something, or need clarification...just provide the MBc link to the topic in question, someone will come to the rescue.

and when you start buying & building, please DO start a thread about that, lots of pics too...that's how the other stuff you're about to look at got here, from folks like you :cool:

in other words, stick around and let us watch this happen...and then your posts will help the next new guy.

this place is a wonderful learning tool, and you'll find the group quite willing to help those who help themselves :) :)

Last edited:
I think it's brilliant to do these things, and really just prepare the best you can then get on and go.
No different to bicycle touring, just a few more tools to carry. Oh and gas of course.

Hey guys, I've never hiked a day in my life and will be climbing Mt Everest this summer. Any tips as to what gear I should get?

Seriously, your goal of riding across the country is admirable but you should start small. Buy a bike and an engine and become familiar with this hobby and what can go wrong. The time to discover a weakness in your setup is not 1/2 across the country.

Weaknesses

@70cc.
the day after your post I broke a pedal, crank loosened, and a host of other little configuration problems showing up. I'll climb the mountain next year. hehe.

Back