Hotter ignition for the GT5R?

buzbikebklyn1

Local time
10:39 PM
I have a 2010 66ccGT5R engine and shift kit/tuned pipe on my every day ride, it runs well, but but I feel its not performing quite up to its potential, i know there are gains to be made with a hotter ignition and advance/retarded timing.

It runs the stock integrated coil/CDI/plug wire it came with and an .035 spark plug gap on a NKG B7HS plug. the unit is housed in the over sized (compared to an older GT motor)timing case on the motors left side.
Is there some way to use a remote pick up in the case and the hotter, adjustable KZ type of CDI box and the separate coil?
I want to get more spark out of it as well as be able to use resettable timing.
I know its been done...
Any ideas?
BBB

Have you tried gapping the plug somewhere about .025 or so?
These weak ignitions have a hard time jumping a big gap.

Just a thought after fiddling around with mine doing trial and error enough times.

TiM

Have you tried gapping the plug somewhere about .025 or so?
These weak ignitions have a hard time jumping a big gap.

Just a thought after fiddling around with mine doing trial and error enough times.

TiM

Thanks Tim, I'll try that, do you have any idea what the voltage at the spark plug boot should be? for some reason i think my CDI/Coil/Pick up just isnt putting out the required voltage.
Im having a hard time finding this value (voltage out put) anywhere for the GT5R.

BBB

Last edited:
Back