How about a standing mile race?

H

HoughMade

I was reading in 2 magazines lately (American Iron and Hot Rod) about land speed racing at Maxton, N.C. Unlike Bonneville, this is a 1 mile, standing start race with the trap speed, not the E.T. being the determining factor. The "Maxton Mile" is a WW II era Army Air Corp base.

This event is regulated by the East Coast Timing Association (ECTA) and is held several times a year. There are classes down to 50 ccs. This sounds like a hoot to me, and something I would be much more likely to do than Bonneville.

I'm thinking a couple classes of MBs would greatly improve this already spectacular event.

Thoughts?

http://www.ecta-lsr.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
A standing mile is a LONNNNG way to run at WOT.

So are you proposing a...race amongst all members?:geek:

Why not? If we bring business to the ECTA, I'd think they would welcome us. Our records may be the slowest, but they would be OUR RECORDS.

Yeah this sounds like a great idea!!!
It would mean that MB's all over the world could compete without having to cengregate in one place!

BSA

A standing mile is a LONNNNG way to run at WOT.

So are you proposing a...race amongst all members?:geek:

unlike 5-7, i have no problem tuning to run WOT for a mile, BUT,

i'm alittle confused about what's being proposed.

are we supporting a trip to "maxton" to run under the "observation" of the ECTA ? i'm afraid for me that's altogether OUT of the question.

are we going to entertain submisions of "time slips" from any and everyone run over whatever "close to flat" piece of roadway they can find ? i'm afraid the infinite calculable (sp) variations would make the results irrelavent, even if we transported ONE bike around the country for everyone to use.

the only possible way to recognize even those results would be if they were accompanied with a print out from a bonified police speed observation.

FAT CHANCE, given the advisability of attempting THAT.

i'll cheer on any and all that have the "ways and means" to attend and participate at a sactioned event though.

steve

Initially, I was thinking about a trip to Maxton, but maybe MB specific meets could be considered.

Back