how can i set up a 12v horn?

2strokepoke

Local time
12:54 PM
when riding I sometimes feel the need to make people aware of my presence so i'd like to hook something up on my bike. a normal biycle horn would do but i always like to try the harder route :p ( so i learn somethin)

harborfreight sells a pack of 2 12v electric horns one high and one low. i would use only one. could i possibly use the 6v white wire with a push button switch? i'm assumign it wouldnt be as loud.

thanks.

No, probably even sound like a mouse bark... I don't know of ANY horn that could be run by the white wire. Maybe a very small siren like in personal alarm...I have a few of them, I think I'll give it a try...Now I need to hook up a new white wire.

Last edited:
i found a 6v motorcycle horn! would be great if i could use the white wire.. idk much about electrical though but if someone could explain how to make it work i think i could do it.

Typically, one side is grounded. You feed power to the horn through the horn button switch, the current energizes a coil inside the horn, the resulting magnetic field pulls a metal diaphram towards the coil, which breaks the electrical circuit, the magnetic field collapses, and the diaphram pulls back away from the coil, which energizes the circuit again, and the cycle continues until you release the horn button. The sound is made by the diaphram moving to and fro under the influence of the coil as it is alternately powered and unpowered.

To hook up the horn, you need:
  • A wire from plus terminal of the battery to the horn switch and
  • A wire from the other side of the horn switch to the horn wire and
    Either
    • a solid ground connection at the horn, & a wire from the battery minus to ground, or
    • a wire fastened to the case of the horn, running back to the minus side of the battery.

For $24 plus a $1 filler to get free shipping, you can get this thing...

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Cycle-Airzound-Horn/dp/B005HNPEQU

... and not have to worry about replacing batteries, corrosion from the elements, etc.

I really should get one, but just not a top priority for me at the moment. My local bike shop had 'em in stock, and they're pretty loud.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
6 volt cycle horn still takes a couple amps to make it work...white wire is not enough

Back