How can you tell if you have water in your tank?

Blaze_Fox89

Local time
11:02 PM
I left my motored bike out for two days in really bad and wet weather.
If you live in Adelaide you would know. The wind even blew my 10 kilo bar over. And, thus, also my bike.

It was on it's side for one night in heavy rain then upright for two more. I had to get the tire fixed again before i could put it away or cover it.

Anyhoo, what does water contaminated fuel look like? Theres a lot of fuel so I don't really want to drain it all. There was a little water on the seal of the cap but it still looks like untainted fuel in the tank.

Any suggestions? :confused:

Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and drain some out of the tank. Water is heavier than fuel and it will come out first (water and fuel do not mix). When you see clean fuel come out you should be OK. If any got into the carb you might want to flush it also.

Tip the contents of the tank on your neighbours prize rose bushs & buy a $2 tarp from Cheap as Chips. :D

just a small amount of water in your tank
would be noticed greatly -- the way in which that THING is running -- would not be good

so -- if it fires up and goes around the block a few times -- should be good to go

ride tha MB thing

Thank you

I went out there today with my torch and looked in the tank, I couldn't see anything. I can't see through the fuel line either because I installed black car fuel line. Tomorrow I'll empty a little out and pour petrol over the carby, just in case.

Heeh, I have a Ducati cover I brought for $11 on ebay, but i was hoping that the rain would wash the dirt off. Now it's 3 times dirtier. :cry:

I may empty it anyway, as the neighbor has a better bonsai plant then me out the front. :devilish:

Thanks for your help, i'll come back if it doesn't start tomorrow.

Blaze.

You can just empty some into a clear jar from the fuel line. If there's any water you'll easily see it in the bottom of the jar.

How can you tell if you have water in your tank?

U-boats circling would be a sure sign......

gasoline floats on water, so like was said earlier ,disconnect line and drain. Water in the fuel is distinctive enough you will recogonize it.

So, wait. Does it sink or float? I thought it sank.

If it sank then it is all gone, drained some fuel from tank, then undid the drain screw at the bottom of the carby. I forgot that was there to do that with.

Anyhoo, did that. Then I started thinking about the magneto, I thought it was sealed with gasket sealer. Yeh, yeh... but no locktight on the bolts. :mad:
The magneto coil is rusted and water got past the seal and into the engine looks like.. Goes better than ever, apparently. I dried the magneto out on top of the water heater. That worked well.

Blazes tip of the day: your water heater is good for drying stuff. :D

Back