How difficult are motorized bikes to build?

Cube, Cannondale, Cross, are the most popular here. There is also B-TWIN, some budget bikes.
First bike, go budget. Nothing like wasting a wad of dough on something your not sure if you wanna stay it or not. This hobby there are levels. Casual, daily, racer and everything in between. Some love to tinker, some just wanna ride. Some just wanna borrow my bikes because they dont have to pay for upkeep or gas. Lol. Then again if you know you love engines and oil, for god sake dive in. Just remember we all make mistakes, so since your new i say keep it simple and cheap for your first build. Some people get turned off at having to build a bike and leave the hobby. Some people like me think of building and tinker as half the fun of these bikes.

Hello there!

I'm sorry if this noob post might annoy you a little bit. I'm really looking to get into this hobby as it looks like a lot of fun to me.

My question is : How difficult are these things to build?

I'm a 15 year old who doesn't have any mechanical experience at all. But I want to learn. Would a motorized bike be a good project to start with? Thanks.
I just recently finished my first motorized bike build and I basically have zero mechanical experience as well.

Building a motorized bike is definitely a learning curve, and can be extremely frustrating to perfect.

There will likely be a few times where you feel like quitting or just throwing your bike away, but each step is most likely going to be a step in the right direction so NEVER give up.

On a scale from 1-10 in difficulty (1 being installing a door, and 10 being building a car from scratch) I'd say building a good motorized bike is about a 7. It's definitely a major challenge, even to some mechanically inclined people, which is why you don't see a ton of people making them anymore.

Remember, it's one thing to build a motorized bike, it's another to perfect one.

Never quit and good luck.

I just recently finished my first motorized bike build and I basically have zero mechanical experience as well.

Building a motorized bike is definitely a learning curve, and can be extremely frustrating to perfect.

There will likely be a few times where you feel like quitting or just throwing your bike away, but each step is most likely going to be a step in the right direction so NEVER give up.

On a scale from 1-10 in difficulty (1 being installing a door, and 10 being building a car from scratch) I'd say building a good motorized bike is about a 7. It's definitely a major challenge, even to some mechanically inclined people, which is why you don't see a ton of people making them anymore.

Remember, it's one thing to build a motorized bike, it's another to perfect one.

It's great that you took this on and built a bike. Building it and some grey matter in the process. I have to add though, I do this to relax. I find it very comforting to be building and solving problems on my build. It's a soothing warm fuzzy feeling, that might be the scotch, but I'm sure it's a some of that other stuff too. Helps me sleep at night knowing my tools aren't sitting long enough to even think about rusting. An they are most likely lightly covered in some kind of oil or grease. Don't you Feel Like Dr. F when building a bike, I sure do. I even shout " IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!" and do the signature mad scientist cackle. I thought we all did that?

If you need the bike for basic transportation and want to put a motor on it quickly, you're going to encounter every possible snag there is and take months to get it going. But, if you're just building for fun, they go rather quickly. The first one I built took me 4 hours and it ran pretty good, so I sold it to my neighbor and built another.

You forgot to add one very important piece of advice to folks that are new to building one of these bikes.

NEVER hesitate to ask for help that will be needed from folks here in the forum with the experience and expertise to help ya out along the way...lol...Thats what our little forum is all about.

Always good advice to tell noobies when they start out with our little sport/hobby...lol...DAMIEN

If you need the bike for basic transportation and want to put a motor on it quickly, you're going to encounter every possible snag there is and take months to get it going. But, if you're just building for fun, they go rather quickly. The first one I built took me 4 hours and it ran pretty good, so I sold it to my neighbor and built another.
Aint that the truth!!!!! Goes so much smoother when its for fun. Idk how you let them go so quick. I become attached to them and want to keep all of them. Then I get so many I force myself to get rid of them cheap or free. 😆. Hi, my name is Karl Snarl and I'm a motorbike addict. Lmao

Aint that the truth!!!!! Goes so much smoother when its for fun. Idk how you let them go so quick. I become attached to them and want to keep all of them. Then I get so many I force myself to get rid of them cheap or free. 😆. Hi, my name is Karl Snarl and I'm a motorbike addict. Lmao
If you got 10 motors sitting on the floor and 4 frames in the shed, what are you going to do?
Actually, that was the second bike, my first was the cranny that I grenaded the coaster brake on.

Not my build! Hahaha it was like the diner scene from Tommy Boy on repeat. The biscuit is my bike.

If you got 10 motors sitting on the floor and 4 frames in the shed, what are you going to do?
Actually, that was the second bike, my first was the cranny that I grenaded the coaster brake on.
I'm going to be in heaven down in the shop playing with them. Lol. I have 7 motors sitting right now. One is called for on a trade, my 66 for a 50. Making a bike for my little nephew when I get the 50cc. I have a few frames, want more. Lol. I have to force myself to get rid of them. I have way to much fun with them. MBing is a good 80% of my free time.

Back