How Do I Determine Whether Or Not I Need A Half Link?

yuckfoo

Local time
1:51 AM
My chain for the right side of my shift kit almost fits. The chain tensioner is loose and the engine is forced down as low as it can go. If I wrap the chain around the 10 tooth gear and around the pedal sprocket I can almost get a master link in, but not quite. The sickbike parts manual says "Install the chain, the best method for this is to fully assemble the chain, place it inside the chainrings and onto the small jackshaft sprocket. Once it is on the small sprocket, start placing it on the front of the large chainring and slowly start turning the cranks until the chain has been installed. It will take some force to do this and your clutch on your engine will need to be disengaged so that the sprocket can rotate."

My question is, how I determine before hand whether or not I should do it this way or use a half link. I guess really the question is, how do I determine whether or not I need a half link. I don't want to damage my shift kit free wheel trying to put the chain on the way that is suggested above.

My chain for the right side of my shift kit almost fits. The chain tensioner is loose and the engine is forced down as low as it can go. If I wrap the chain around the 10 tooth gear and around the pedal sprocket I can almost get a master link in, but not quite. The sickbike parts manual says "Install the chain, the best method for this is to fully assemble the chain, place it inside the chainrings and onto the small jackshaft sprocket. Once it is on the small sprocket, start placing it on the front of the large chainring and slowly start turning the cranks until the chain has been installed. It will take some force to do this and your clutch on your engine will need to be disengaged so that the sprocket can rotate."

My question is, how I determine before hand whether or not I should do it this way or use a half link. I guess really the question is, how do I determine whether or not I need a half link. I don't want to damage my shift kit free wheel trying to put the chain on the way that is suggested above.
I answered my own question. The secret is to bring the loose ends of the chain around to the top of the 10 tooth gear. Once I did that I was able to see that it's a perfect fit. Previously I was trying to get the master link in while the two ends were between the sprockets with nothing to steady them.

Back