How do I fit my throttle cable?

Local time
11:03 PM
Okay I feel like this is a stupid question because I get the impression this shouldn't be difficult, but I'm upgrading to a twist throttle on my friction drive Honda GX50 and I'm trying to install a new throttle cable for it.

The problem is, the ball end of the cable seems to large to fit into the hole of throttle collar screw on the engine. #17 here: https://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/hen/5bb629f687a8661204873e78/carburetor

I had to cut off the old cable to get it out, how do I put my new cable in? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

can you give me a photograph from your phones camera, of the throttle linkage. I can help better with pictures. that diagram doesn't help me visualize what you are working with

I've always put grease on the inside of the metal so it won't stick when it gets bent...
I always add a small smear of lithium grease ( red and tacky) or whatever I have on hand. Makes the grips action smooth as silk. I like to work grease down the cable too. Some like that spray stuff, but grease a cable right and you won't have to for years!!! All my brakes cables are done up the same way too.

I've used gunk chain lube with the stick and electrical taped on the cable... Hang them over something let gravity help... The bicycle shop stuff that's made for it is probably the best.. try and stay away from something tacky... Dry graphite spray but it's expensive

I always add a small smear of lithium grease ( red and tacky) or whatever I have on hand. Makes the grips action smooth as silk. I like to work grease down the cable too. Some like that spray stuff, but grease a cable right and you won't have to for years!!! All my brakes cables are done up the same way too.
I greased my emergency brake cables on my Dodges with a mix of neversieze and 90w so they could pretend to work and not rust solid in the salty winter roads... Every nut and bolt had neversieze on it...

I greased my emergency brake cables on my Dodges with a mix of neversieze and 90w so they could pretend to work and not rust solid in the salty winter roads... Every nut and bolt had neversieze on it...
I don't have an e brake cable, It broke before I bought the truck. lol. Had the truck 6 years now, never went and replaced it. lol

I've used gunk chain lube with the stick and electrical taped on the cable... Hang them over something let gravity help... The bicycle shop stuff that's made for it is probably the best.. try and stay away from something tacky... Dry graphite spray but it's expensive
I use open gear and and cable heavy duty industrial molly lube on my chains. I've never had a problem with using grease on my cables. I just dip the cable in the grease and then put it in the sheath.

Back