How do I fit my throttle cable?

I use open gear and and cable heavy duty industrial molly lube on my chains. I've never had a problem with using grease on my cables. I just dip the cable in the grease and then put it in the sheath.
There are clamp-on cable lube 'injectors' that allow you to use sprays. They clamp around the end of the cable housing with the cable sticking out the open end. There's a port on the side that accepts a standard pipette that comes with many spray lubes. I've used em for years with TriFlow on motorcycle cables. And now my m/b. Works great ime

There are clamp-on cable lube 'injectors' that allow you to use sprays. They clamp around the end of the cable housing with the cable sticking out the open end. There's a port on the side that accepts a standard pipette that comes with many spray lubes. I've used em for years with TriFlow on motorcycle cables. And now my m/b. Works great ime
I'll have to look into that. I'd like to use the same can of stuff for my chains and cables. It's good stuff. Really reduces the wear, just a little messy if you don't wipe off the excess after applying.

I just drip 30w or 40w oil onto the cable housing end and let it gravity drain in.

Before I install a brake cable I'll put the whole cable in oil, lightly wipe it off then put it in the housing.

I don't try and make my cables & cable housings last forever because they don't
The plastic sleeve lining inside the housing gets worn
To keep my brake cables nice and smooth I replace them (housing and cable) about every 3 years or sooner if needed,
Yes I ride my bike alot
The throttle cable last alot longer than brake cables
Brake cables have more stress force on them and the housing inner lining gets worn faster causing harder cable pull

That's why I buy 6' cables by the 10 pk and cable housing by the 50' roll, I also got a box of 100 metal housing ends and cable ends
I'm always ready to make a new brake cable
I buy my throttle cables and keep an extra hanging in the garage

Attachments

• DSCF1602.JPG
    DSCF1602.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCF1603.JPG
    DSCF1603.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCF1604.JPG
    DSCF1604.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 132
Sorry for the late response guys, but here's a picture.

I can't get the ball end through the hole in that screw. Is this normal? It seems like when I try to force it through it bunches up.

Unfortunately, I think you're about to learn a new skill.
Or, it might be time to visit
again.

Unfortunately, I think you're about to learn a new skill.
Or, it might be time to visit
again.
Well I had to cut the stock end off to get it out and didn't think twice because I'm a dumbass so that wouldn't work. There's has got to be a way though, I just don't see how hundreds of people have probably replaced these throttles with no issues. I feel like I'm missing something, idk.

. There's has got to be a way though, I just don't see how hundreds of people have probably replaced these throttles with no issues. I feel like I'm missing something, idk.

Hopefully there's enough meat in the sides of the adjustment screw to drill the hole in the adjustment screw larger.
Or you can shave some lead off the cable end so it will fit thru.
Make sure ya leave enough lead to catch the hole in the carb slide

Or else ya might have to find a different adjustment screw,
I would hate to cut the end off a new throttle cable and have to use a throttle cable stop because of that damn adjustment screw

I've gone through the same problem on both my GX-35 and GX-50.
I haven't figured out a way to make it work yet. Basically, you've got 5 choices for Honda GX's.

1. You can either order a new custom made cable from Staton. Easy
2. Find a new adjustable barrel throttle screw with a larger inner diameter. Not so easy
3. SLIGHTLY dremel the lead throttle cable end, so it fits through your existing adjustable barrel throttle screw. Sorta easy...if you don't screw it up
4. Fabricate your own. Not so easy(the 1st time)
5. Go back to using the original throttle. Easy
....I ended up choosing #4, and can now make my own throttle cables whenever I need.

If you, or anyone else, decide to make your own(again, not super easy the first time), I'll attempt to describe it, in a "how to"
But to start, you'll need new cable, solder, flux, a 4 way tire iron(to be used as a solder pot), a bernzomatic hand torch(or similar), and new brass throttle cable ends(or wire terminal crimp connectors)
...Anyone visualize where I'm going with this??

Back