How do I make this bike as quiet as possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkfighter

Local time
3:22 AM
Thank you for taking the time to look at my post in advance. I am 15 and just assembled the standard 50cc chinese 2 stroke on a walmart bike, with some cosmetic additions.

However, since I want to ride around the neighborhood, I will need to make it as quiet as possible and stop noise leaking from the engine chamber, especially between 900-3000 rpm. If there are any parts that I can add to do this and dampen the sound to as minimum as possible, please let me know.

What kind of noise is your motor making? It should sound about the same all the time
It does sound the same, except that I want to decrease the sound in GENERAL. About the part of making more noise at 900-3000 rpm as opposed to higher rpms, this is just lower frequencies being able to travel a longer distance and thus being perceived as louder.

Hmm, don't really have a dremel or any special tools, so I think a better CDI that is tuneable would be great. I have yet to find one that will reduce the noise through timing retardation.

I would be (I am) more concerned about the high frequency sound as that is much easier to pinpoint the direction of, and to identify as a two stroke motorbike.
Have you used the search function (top right ^^^) with words like " sound noise reduction dampening stealth mods " ? You get more answers faster like that. Well, I did when I was reading up about this.

Dunno, but intuitively, i like the idea of shoving those stainless steel pot scrubber pads down the exhaust pipe.

Lots of baffle & not much restriction.

Easy to petrol rinse any 2 stroke gunk out periodically.

i agree u r right to be leery of timing being a solution.

u r also a wise kid. u have manners toward others. Its right, and it pays in life.

hope this helps or stimulates a response that does.

darkfighter, the noise that emanates from the cylinder and head fins is the result of the rapid rise in pressure. The more the timing is advanced the higher the peak pressure which affects the noise level. Admittedly a 5 degrees retardation of spark probably won't make a noticeable difference though.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my post in advance. I am 15 and just assembled the standard 50cc chinese 2 stroke on a walmart bike, with some cosmetic additions.

However, since I want to ride around the neighborhood, I will need to make it as quiet as possible and stop noise leaking from the engine chamber, especially between 900-3000 rpm. If there are any parts that I can add to do this and dampen the sound to as minimum as possible, please let me know.
Its really not to loud in the first place, it may sound loud while your riding it but if you really need something quieter, the only thing you can do is get good muffler, and if you want more performance, make sure to buy an expansion chamber with an integrated muffler.

I know it may not be too loud, but it is getting pretty annoying having to turn the engine off within 50 feet of a pedestrian just to avoid weird suspicion. Perhaps if I pedal at the same time and turn it into an electrically assisted hybrid no one will understand to care enough about how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back